Post your desktop.

pneumaticmanatee.jpg

At a party at my house someone had typed "manatee tube" into Google search for some reason, and this is one of the pictures that came up.

And it's been my desktop ever since.

yippeee!
i just installed linux(ubuntu version) to dual boot with my vista pc(picture of desktop on vista above)
here it is
Screenshot.png

if you dont have Linux you should get it IMO :wink:

arogeek said:
how do i post my deskto?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿ i know people have asked before but im not sure what they mean?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿please help.

open paint or some other photo/picture editing program.
go to your desktop, set it up to how much you want to show, ie open a window, or open the start menu etc. once ready, press print screen on your keyboard, sometimes labelled as PrtSc.
open paint, press "paste" and your screenshot should be pasted into Paint. from there resize as you want, then upload it to flickr, photobucket or the like. then post it in this thread.

"if you dont have Linux you should get it IMO "

what is it about linux that should make me want to change over from xp?

This is what Linux users say, Spoilered for hench amount of text.
Why Linux over XP? How Ubuntu Users Respond

In the Ubuntu forums, a question was posed that I imagine has been asked again and again now probably on 100s of different forums. It is the age-old question, posed by a Windows user who doesn’t quite get all the excitement about Linux or a particular distro, ‘why?’. Why Linux over Windows? What’s the big deal?

The question sometimes is asked just to stir the pot. Very often, the question is quite sincere, they just don’t get it. Well the question posed in this forum was posted exactly one-year ago yesterday, and has since generated 746 responses. Does anyone have time to read them all? Only the dedicated few. However, I thought it would be interesting to sift through them (with some sampling of course) to see what common themes pop up.

This is my first pass at this, so I might revisit it from time to time, or turn into a perma-post for those curious about linux or thinking about a switch. Special thanks to ubuntu user Monsuco, whose very well written “12 reasons” post; really helped to kick start the list.

* Security
o No spyware
o No adware
o No viruses
o No trojans
* Financial (Lower total cost of ownership)
o Free free free
+ Free OS
+ Free upgrades
+ Free software
+ Free codecs
+ …and legally free (clearly free this isn’t an issue for people who steal Windows or other apps) but at least this is the legit kind of free
o Lower hardware requirements
+ Older systems which crawl with Windows, hum nicely with Linux
+ Don’t necessarily have to buy expensive new hardware upgrades or new pcs AS OFTEN as windows users do.
* Performance
o Multi-tasking performance is excellent - can’t be beat (again, even with older hardware)
o Stability - Linux rarely if ever crashes. It can be left running for weeks, months, years without any impact on performance (no memory leaks etc.).
o Advanced memory management system - allows for memory intense calculations that would choke a normal windows pc
* User Experience
o Desktop customization
+ Gnome and KDE, for example, provide far greater tools for completely customizing the look and feel and experience of the desktop
+ added (XGL/AIGLX)/Compiz - a combination Xserver/window & composite manager framework, which provides an incredibly cool, productive, and visionary desktop environment. See this amazing YouTube video demonstration of it…nuff said!
o Ease of Use
+ This may seem quite contrary to conventional wisdom, but most difficulties in learning how to navigate and do things results from years of windows or mac preconditioning. Once you get the general gist of things, Linux is quite intuitive and easy (both command line and graphical desktops)
o Maintenance
+ Upgrades (especially with Ubuntu) are a breeze, and you can productively work while they are occuring with no impact on system performance
o No Licensing hassles
o Simple access to 1,000s of useful and free applications through apt-get or synaptic pm
o Ability to ssh into the machine and do nearly anything
o Choice. Choice of:
+ Distro
+ Desktop Envirnoment
+ Office Suite
+ Web Browser, email client, rss newsreader, media player, etc. etc. etc.
* Programming
o LAMP - easily set up servers and database (Apache, MySQL, PHP) making development and testing of web apps quick
o C Compiler readily available/accessible
* Harware Support
o There is terrible misinformation floating about on this topic. Linux has drivers for and supports more hardware and peripherals than any other OS period; and by a long shot.
o Clearly, sometimes you may have to wait a bit for the OS community to write drivers for the most brand-spanking new whizz-bang hardware or peripheral device (especially if that company doesn’t open their drivers to the OS community), but for the most part its just a matter of time.
* Professional
o Some simply use linux b/c thye perceive that it gives them extra marketability in their profession (sys admin, application/database migration)
* Fuzzy / Intangible / Philosophical
o Feel like you are part of a grass-roots movement of sorts
o True interest in computers (how they work, how program, etc.) - call it a hobby or what you like, but this is the very same interest that started the entire home pc explosion
o Geek / nerd cred (some people get tattoos to show they are cool, I do Linux … btw - I understand that the intersection of Linux users and tattoo bearers is off the charts cool)
o Neat to try something new and different
o Feel access to information and control over experience should be free and user controlled. Many feel like Windows tries to force users into doing things their way, and on their terms. It isn’t your computer or your OS, you are leasing it from them.
My new Desktop!
deskyuf7.jpg

Last edited:
Back