Rosetta@Home

tank

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Nov 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
"Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's"

Quote from the website.

Anyone familiar with the SETI project already has a good idea of Distributive Computing, and the benefits of mass research.

If you would like to help in this effort, feel free to download the BOINC project manager, and then attach to the Rosetta project. Right now I run Rosetta on one comp and SETI and Rosetta on the other.

Warning: This software takes up ALOT of ram and speed. This is something that you should only be running at night, when you're not using your computer. Trying to work with BOINC running will hog your ram, and dramatically slow PC performance.

funny thing to note is that ps3s are helping the most in this effort with ps3@home. Now microsoft is trying to jump on the bandwagon.

Last edited:
Cool, I never knew you could run folding on consoles.

Haha. I already have two comps running Rosetta, if I had 360 or PS3 I'd probably be running on that too.

Last year I was able to get into my Highschool's MacLab and get BOINC running on a cluster of 13 PowermacG5s for a whole year. Our highschool had the number 1 secondary school team in the whole project.

Frogger said:
I got taught SETI meant Search For Extra Terrestrial Intelligence...

You're correct, that's what SETI means. Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (the BOINC, i was talking about) Is simply the program that lets you attach to the SETI project and do the work for it. BOINC is also used for Rosetta and a long list of other projects.

SETI, rosetta and the others are all in teh same Distributive computing category.

Back