Development & Research Participation

nxcmp

Tech Support
Jan 22, 2008
USA
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
I was just wonder how many of you out there use the networking community of "BIONIC" to contribute to your PC clock cycles to help out calculate data for projects like "SETI@Home" and "Climateprediction.net" research? Me personally I have all my PCs contribute to "SETI@home" during idle time. My 2 high end PCs for "Climateprediction.net".

Last edited:
Dude ur like up here - and im like down here _ when it comes to wat u just said :lol:...why not takin to down here _ with me so i can understand

Bliss said:
Dude ur like up here - and im like down here _ when it comes to wat u just said :lol:...why not takin to down here _ with me so i can understand

Ok here is how it works.

1. You choose a project for you PC to run through BIONIC
2. Make an account, and region (Ex USA) that way if you find any useful data you will receive credit.
3. Choose a project, Ex. SETI@Home (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) This is a project where they send your computer data from outer space that needs complex math calculations done. Once your PC is done with that task, it will send it back to SETI for analysis, then they will send you another task and the possess repeats.
4. You can set the settings to say if your computer has been idle for 2 hours, it will continue working on the task. Meaning that it puts your computer to good use, so its not sitting there doing nothing. You help benefit these projects that need help. :)

Understand ?

As for "Climateprediction.net", your computer does the same thing as SETI only you are calculating what the earth will be like in the future based on variables the task provides.

Last edited:
[DT] said:
All I know is it steals cycles from my pR0n downloading time...

Well hence for the Idle time option. If you have any and if you don't, you can tell it to take no more then say 10%. Plus it only download 1 task at a time its not constantly accessing the internet.

Here is one of my computers working on SETI (NOTE the graphic window can be toggled on and off or you can set it as your screen saver.)

oh ok i get it now, but is there really a need for it? wouldnt u just shut down when ur not using it? On average the people on this site are just home user computers so it not like there computers are on 24/7.

Bliss said:
oh ok i get it now, but is there really a need for it? wouldnt u just shut down when ur not using it? On average the people on this site are just home user computers so it not like there computers are on 24/7.

Well mine are always on and I'm sure others do as well.

nxcmp said:
Well hence for the Idle time option.

You must not realize how MUCH time I spend with the pR0n :lol:

Seriously, yeah, I used to do that years and years ago, haven't done it in some time - some *much* improved bells ~n~ whistles and UI treatment.

nxcmp said:
Well mine are always on and I'm sure others do as well.

Yeah, I have at least 3 boxes here that run pretty much 24/7 unless we're OOT.

idjut said:
*ahem*

I'm not quite sure what it is your talking about, the Google option I mean.

google has one of these contributing things... i saw it in google labs recently... perhaps incorporated into the google bar... i didn't pay much attention...

but i don't think they exactly mention what research they do...

no fancy graphics like seti...

Back