Router "Problem"

Whoops

WiiChat Member
Sep 15, 2007
England
Wii Online Code
5231-0127-5051-6215
I kinda have a problem with my router it will work fine for hours and then suddenly a red light will show up where the internet symbol is and my connection will go down. I use XP internet diagnostic thing and all it tells me to do is turn off my router and check the cables i do this and it will work fine again for hours. But i cant understand why it dissconnects so suddenly.

Any ideas will be great.

Just a standard 1 meg broadband. I thought about the Firewall but i couldnt see how it would be blocking it. I use Zone Alarm and always have and it never did it when i had my other modem connected up.

Sounds like either an automated switch-off, the router over-heating or an application that is designed to automatically switch on and do it's thing (kinda like a virus scan at pre-set times, only a virus scan wouldn't do that).

I'd look into one of those theories. Obviously, the easiest one is the overheating, put the router (if possible) into a cooler area (shaded, out of the way of other electronics, especially radiators), see if that helps.

Contact your Internet Service Provider for this kind of problem it just might be you have a broken modem =/.

BTW what kind of modem are you using linksys, Netgear? and please provide the model so I can help you with your problem I think I know how to solve it

Its a belkin ADSL+2 modem with High Speed Mode Wireless G router. I dont know the actual model number sorry.

No it was kinda a stuggle just to get the thing to work correctly so i dont want to play about with it just incase. If i did update the drivers does it delete the settings ect... so i would have to connect it up again and everything?

No Updating the drivers actually helps the system with more updated connectivity and stuff, No you do not have to install/Connect everything again.

If you have windows check out windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

BTW you have to use Internet Explorer Browser to go to that site.

I would recommend Firefox browser + AD Blocker Plus for Regular Surfing the web

if you're using wireless, are you using your own personal web account or are you scalping from the neighbors?

a better question to ask would be, do you even know?

speaking in generalizations, usually when you hook up a wireless router, you have to search for connections before it hooks up to the internet...if it happens to find someone else's network before finding your own, it might have latched onto theirs instead, and if they were able to find that out, they could lock you out, making you think there's a problem...or it could be interference causing it to cut out like a cell phone...

it could also very well be a firewall...a firewall's very nature is to keep things it doesn't recognize from coming in via data transfer (read: internet)...if you never told your firewall something along the lines of "hey...that router's cool, let it in, k?" then it might prevent it from networking right.

so check your firewall, see if you have to set up something like a proxy or anything, and make sure it's nothing with software before you go springing for new hardware...

best of luck!

Do you mean the driver for the router? or drivers for my laptop? because i think you can update the drivers for the router. No the router is actually wired into my laptop the only thing i use the wireless part for is for my Nintendo to connect to the internet.

Last edited:
Right thanx a lot i will give it a try when i can.

Since the subject is routers, I have some inquiries before I waste my money. >I am thinking of buying a gigabit router instead of a 10/100 wired Dlink router. I'm not sure If I will get a signifiant advantage with the 10/100/1000 over the 10/100. I have basic cable internet, but I'm not sure if my data flow among my devices will tank while all 3 are operational.
>I also want to have my Wii, PS3 and laptop all connected without having to unplug the router everytime to renew the address.
>Is it just best to buy a wireless enabled router for convenience and disable the wireless for security? Help on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Back