Serious Component Video Issue

ArchangelHavok

WiiChat Member
Dec 16, 2006
Before anything... Nintendo's tech support phoneline is down and has been down so I've been searching for help on the internet with no avail...

Anyways, I recently got the Nintendo component cables delivered to my house, and I hooked them up to my 50 inch Philips Plasma... And I started to play Zelda and it's all good and great, but every now and then random green pixels (very few, but still annoying) would flash on certain parts of the screen. I don't think this is due to overheating since my Wii isn't overheating. It's warm, but that's completely normal, unless what I feel is warm IS actually overheating for the Wii. So does anybody know exactly what is the cause of this and any solutions?

Thanks in advance. <3

I don't know about the console world, but in the world of PC graphics, pixel artifacts and on-screen remnants are the first signs of GPU death.

I hope it's not the graphics chip dying or overheating, but if my PC was doing that, I'd assume that it might be needing a new graphics card, or a meatier power supply unit.

Good luck and fingers crossed it turns out to be something else.

[edit] I don't suppose you can try it with the included composite cable thing, just to see if it still does it ??

So now I hooked up the composite cables to see if it would continue doing that and it's not so I'm guessing it could just be the cables? Is the problem I was having before common if the cables are messed up?

I've not had a lot of experience with the Wii, but it sounds to me that your Wii is fine (thank god) and it's either your component leads, the way the leads were connected, or your TV that is at fault.

Hopefully it was just that they were perhaps connected to the wrong receptacles or something ?? Are they official Nintendo leads ??

Well, I have a friend that is a store manager at best buy, has sold TV for years. He told me when I was in the market to avoid plasma, as they are not really designed for gaming systems. I purchased LCD as a result. But, with that said, and I'm no expert... but I think as he was saying it had to do with the way refresh rates work on the 2 different formats of TV. Also, response time. Again, I can't say for sure if any of this is helpful, but it could be a starting point. I highly doubt it's any of your hardware.

Good luck!

Try using the component cables on a different TV. If the problem remains, it's obviously not your TV. I'm no expert but I understand that when using the component inputs you are going through a different 'system' within both the TV and the Wii, as the cables themselves don't just serve the purpose of providing a clearer signal (if you will). They get encoded and decoded in both the source unit and the TV, so I'd be testing to see if it's your TV first (there's a possibilty that the system used to decode/display component signals could be faulty). If the TV has the all-clear I agree with Goots's post - I think there's something somewhere in the GPU or graphics system that's at fault. I've had a similar issue with my PC a while back and it gradually got worse and worse until it was totally unusable.
If I were in your case I'd work out the cause of the problem. If it's the Wii at fault and you don't intend on using component from now onwards, I'd still go to the trouble of claiming it under warranty as you want a 100% working product. The problem may get worse and worse within the Wii but you're not aware of this becuase it's not being displayed through composite - who knows? It could cause an error and eventuate in failure of the entire system. Better to work it out soon before you get too far into your games!

Was there a big difference in the composite and componet cables? I have a 52" dlp tv and I know there was a difference with the 360

Massive. Like buying a new TV. I'm not too switched on with inches but I have a 106cm and it was almost a necessity. I didn't buy the HD TV for no reason ;)

NOTE: Please excuse my ignorance of the imperial system, but as an engineer I get pretty tired of it because of its huge inferiority to the metric

Last edited:
Hahaa, being a Canadian on the US/Canada border I'm trying hard to use metric myself, but everything here is still measured in imperial.

TheWiggman said:
Massive. Like buying a new TV. I'm not too switched on with inches but I have a 106cm and it was almost a necessity. I didn't buy the HD TV for no reason ;)

NOTE: Please excuse my ignorance of the imperial system, but as an engineer I get pretty tired of it because of its huge inferiority to the metric

Yup, metric is tons (tonnes?) easier. Imperial sucks.

BTW, 106 cm is 41.7 inches.

Hey, im also having this problem with my wii =/
Green pixels would appear every now and then when i play zelda, usually appears during sunset, or near water.

I tested on 2 different TVs and the problem still occurs. When i switch to the composite cables, i still notice the green pixels. They dont stand out as much compared to the component cables since everything is so blurry in zelda.

I will try calling the technical support to see if the warranty can cover this issue.

Well guys I had a friend bring over his Wii to try out the cables and it is in fact, my Wii GPU that is malfunctioning :( Sad story, but at least I figured it out... His game looks crystal clear with the component cables, and unfortunately not with mine :(

I called Nintendo Tech and they said they'll replace the Wii for free, so it's cool.. It's just gonna take a while, so no Zelda for me for a while :\

If you guys are having the same problems, get a friend to hook up his Wii at your house, and see if it's that..

Back