Soi far very dissappointed with Wii

souvlaki

WiiChat Member
Dec 25, 2009
I just bought the Wii console and games accessories yesterday for the kids (4 and 7), walked out having spent about $500. The games are a bit complicated (except Cars - Lightning McQueen), too many options. So I wanted to download some GameCube games so the kids can play some simple arcade games. This was one of the reasons I bought the Wii, I saw that you can find classic games for 5 bucks.
So I setup the internet connection, went on the shopping channel. Then I am told that I need to make a system update which lasted about 20 minutes. Finaly, I go back to the shopping channel and it tells me I need to register. I try registering (with some complicated explanations about how you can link with an online account and accumulate points). I registered, and then I get an Internal Server Error and the only way out was to power-off and restart the Wii. So I figure I can maybe download them on the internet from my PC, burn a DVD and stick it in there. All I come across the internet is how to hack the Wii (not exactly plug and play) so one can play gamecube games. Finaly, I find some information that to play gamecube games, I would have to also buy a special controller and some SD GC memory. To me the whole thing is a scam. I plan on returning everything tomorrow although it will be sad because my son loves the Cars game (but then again it is available on many different platforms).

So can anyone set me straight on this? How can I play cheap gamecube games on the Wii, the salesman at BestBuy told me it was compatible. Can I rent GC videogames from the local videostore and pop them in the Wii? Do I really need to buy yet more gear? If so, I will definitely return the Wii. I am fed up and feel like I am being scammed by this Nintendo company.

The Wii can play GameCube games, but only the regular GameCube retail discs, you can't download them. And to play them you need a GameCube controller and memory card.

The Wii Shopping channel has games from older classic consoles like the NES, Super NES, Genesis, etc. They can only be purchased from the Wii Shopping Channel, not on your PC.

Out of curiosity, which games did you buy with it?

$500 sounds like a stretch. If you went out of the way to look at second hand stuff you could have saved PILES of money. Used gamecube controllers, for example, won't hurt your wallet too bad.

Wii Console $200
Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics $50
Cars Race o Rama $45
Lost in Blue $20
Wii wheel $15
Extra Wii remote $45
In store service plan 2 years $50

Total: $425
Plus 15% tax in Canada -> $490

Now I need to figure out how to either

1. Buy points to download arcade games (isn't this silly?). I probably have to enroll in something, give out my email and get special offers aka spam.

2. Buy MORE gear to play gamecube games, which I have no idea how much it costs.

I'm going to swing by the video store and see if they rent or sell gamecuibe games, and see if its worth it to keep this Wii gadget. It has been such a hassle. And I thought I would buy a video game for the kids, plug it in and play away. Instead, my kids are falling asleep watching me play Mr. Tecnician. Whatever happened to the normal video games? They don't seem to sell them anywhere.

1 buy points with credit card or ask stores for a wii points card. no email no spam no muss no fuss.
2 gamecube stuff is cheap. I reccomend wireless gc controllers which should be about 25 bucks used.

playing technician huh? it isn't that complicated. if you still want to take it back might I suggest a ps2? dirt cheap and very user friendly. anyway good luck.

Thank you all for your feedback.
I think the Wii is not ideal for my children's age.
They are used to going online and playing zillions of different flash based games, lots of choices etcv, they got the video game bug about 2-3 weeks ago. Therefore I thought it would be a good idea to get them a real video game they can play on the TV. I think I will opt for an older model videogame (PS2 seems to be a good suggestion) where I can get lots of different simple videogames relatively cheap. I appreciate the feedback and clarifications as I am a total newbie to this and haven't played videogames since I was a teenager (25 years ago) in arcades. I was impressed with the Wii, I enjoyed playing around with it today even with all the frustrating glitches, but the toy is supposed to be for the kids not me!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

1 buy points with credit card or ask stores for a wii points card. no email no spam no muss no fuss.
2 gamecube stuff is cheap. I reccomend wireless gc controllers which should be about 25 bucks used.

playing technician huh? it isn't that complicated. if you still want to take it back might I suggest a ps2? dirt cheap and very user friendly. anyway good luck.

25 bucks used for wireless gc controlls? i got 4 wavebirds for 14.99 used at gamestop

oh i forgot prices are sick in canada. anyway this thread is ready to retire ...

Back