The "Official SD Card Clarification" thread

Blipstein

Yo Momma
Nov 21, 2006
Wii Online Code
5612-5189-9190-0242
Sorry for posting up another SD card thread. I called this the "Official" thread just to try to clear up all the other SD threads on the forum and hopefully all of the answers can be found in this thread.

So from what I've read, the SD card obviously works with the photo channel (which is cool as **** BTW) and can back up saved information for games. But you can't save data on the card when you are in the game? So basically when you are done playing for the night, you can back up what you just saved on the console...onto the card?

Do I have this correct? Any other functionality?

Thanks

Last edited:
Blipsten said:
Sorry for posting up another SD card thread. I called this the "Official" thread just to try to clear up all the other SD threads on the forum and hopefully all of the answers can be found in this thread.

So from what I've read, the SD card obviously works with the photo channel (which is cool as **** BTW) and can back up saved information for games. But you can't save data on the card when you are in the game? So basically when you are done playing for the night, you can back up what you just saved on the console...onto the card?

Do I have this correct? Any other functionality?

Thanks

Seems like all that reading of other threads paid off. You nailed everything on the head. One functionality you didn't mention is that some games can play the mp3 files you have on SD cards in the background.

SDHC does NOT work, only normal SD cards.

Other than that you nailed it.

Also, the only ways to listen to mp3s are in the photo slideshow and while playing games such as Excite Truck. I really think they need some kind of downloadable media player.

inthearmsofsleep said:
Also, the only ways to listen to mp3s are in the photo slideshow and while playing games such as Excite Truck. I really think they need some kind of downloadable media player.
yeah that would be cool
someone should sticky this thread

Questions
How can I get saves to an SD card?
Is it available in a firmware update?

I tried almost everything!!:mad2:

The latest update should allow you to copy from system memory to SD pretty easily. Just go to "memory options" (or something like that), and there's a tab up top that allows you to flip between system and SD memory.

The holidays are a great reason to go out and buy a 2GB SD card. Load it up with Christmas mp3s and download Christmas images (google image, Webshots; search: Christmas), fire up a slideshow w/music. A great background for holiday parties, or just kicking back after dinner and relaxing.

Master Foot said:
Does the Wii search for firmware updates automatically when it's online?
It doesn't seem to, but if you can still access the shop channel, then you have the most recent version. It was address the issue of people hacking the shop channel for internet, and the cut off access for anyone not fully updated.

Back