The Paved Paths of Metroid

KHgamer

WiiChat Member
Mar 3, 2008
After two decades of Metroid games, Samus Aran has evolved from an 8-bit superheroine to a 3-D bounty adventurer. In the course of these 20 years, Samus has received numerous suit upgrades and faced endless chain-effect villains caused by the defeat of a past adversary. With every passing foe, Nintendo pushed for more beautiful visuals, chilling music and morph ball mind games.

Now that the Metroid Prime trilogy has concluded, what would be next? Not only in terms of story, but the way the games are presented? What sort of tricks can the developing teams come up with, and would the developers continue with the Prime-esque gameplay? If that happened, where could the team go?

Below are among the many possibilities for future Metroid games, and are directions that Nintendo may want to consider in order to keep a healthy name for their favorite bounty hunter within the gaming community. Utilizing either the Nintendo DS and the Wii, development studios have an array of possibilities for this signature franchise.

Possibility One: Continuing the 3-D Adventure Universe

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption has proven itself to be a worthwhile Wii game. Not only has the title scored an A, but the very design of the Nunchuk came from Retro Studios' suggestions and feedback while developing the Wii. The Nunchuk was made for Corruption, literally. Without the suggestions of Retro Studios, the Nunchuk may never have existed at all. In light of this, would Nintendo be shooting themselves in the foot with their own Wii Remote if the series did not continue this way?

In positive light, the Corruption has won more Wiire awards than any other for the first year of the Wii console. The game proves itself as a graded adversary to other console first-person shooters, defying the rules of high definition and pushing for more intuitive controls with little more than an arm cannon and a grapple beam. Not an easy feat by any means.
However, the game can also alienate people (no pun intended, until now) who hate first-person shooters. Retro Studios made a huge leap from Super Metroid to Metroid Prime, and the entire Prime series could not last at #1 on the gaming charts so long as Super Metroid lived on. While Metroid Prime and its successors holds a huge cult following, some gamers felt that the series pursued too radical a direction away from Metroid's roots.

What about a third-person Metroid title? Retro Studios stated that they want to take a break from the Metroid series, so could a new development team come up with a fresh way to look at Samus from outside of the visor? Camera angles have certainly come a long way, providing gamers with professional cinematic experiences that even major film makers could learn. Then again, history has also proven that camera angles can plague a game if not implemented properly. Developer Sonic Team, for instance, has yet to perfect their non-linear camera angles for 3D Sonic the Hedgehog titles, despite nearly a decade of practice.

http://www.thewiire.com/features/209/1/The_Paved_Paths_of_Metroid

Metroid is one of my fave gaming series ever.

I'd love to see Nintendo make "Hunters" into a online/offline mutliplayer spinoff for Wii.

They need a 1st party online multiplayer shooter anyway. Even though critics bashed the multi in Echoes, I loved it and still play it with my friends. It's nothing like Halo or any other shooter for that matter.

Frog said:
Metroid is one of my fave gaming series ever.

I'd love to see Nintendo make "Hunters" into a online/offline mutliplayer spinoff for Wii.

They need a 1st party online multiplayer shooter anyway. Even though critics bashed the multi in Echoes, I loved it and still play it with my friends. It's nothing like Halo or any other shooter for that matter.

I hope they make it one day.I wonder if their working on metriod prime 4 yet.

I would really like to see Metroid expanded like really really darker

I wan't the creators to really emphazie on Samus being a lone bounty hunter so then they can really focus on elements like isolation, and give it a real eerie tone of exploration.

I want to see samus startout the game without her suit on that would be very interesting and could open up some new concepts i.e lack of firepower, strength, speed etc,

Or even better set the game before Samus became a bounty hunter! so we can then get some insight on what mader her such a badass

ally_uk said:
I would really like to see Metroid expanded like really really darker

I wan't the creators to really emphazie on Samus being a lone bounty hunter so then they can really focus on elements like isolation, and give it a real eerie tone of exploration.

I want to see samus startout the game without her suit on that would be very interesting and could open up some new concepts i.e lack of firepower, strength, speed etc,

Or even better set the game before Samus became a bounty hunter! so we can then get some insight on what mader her such a badass

really, thats all u want the power suit off for?:ihih: :ihih: :ihih:

yeah a prequel would be good.

Indeed Metroid is one of the very best series' ever. If not the very best. I have loved every Metroid game except for, uh, the gameboy one...
I agree that they shoulld focus more on the "isolation" feeling that dominated Super Metroid. the creepiness was always one of the best factors in Metroid games. Having lots of other bounty hunters in the mix, and including voice acting wasn't the greatest move.
I loved the transition to 3D, they pulled it off well, and they should continue it. Leave the 2D Metroids to the DS, because they are fantastic too. But the bigger and better hardware should be used for 3D.
If "Prime" was only a trilogy, then simply drop the "Prime" storyline and do something else. Bring back the Mother Brain. Bring back Kraid. Don't focus so much on space pirates or the Federation or anything else...
If 'Zero Mission' wasn't already a remake of the first Metroid, I'd say a 3D remake of the original would be awesome.
As long as they keep the focus on EXPLORATION, SECRETS, and CREEPY CLAUSTROPHOBIA, then I think they'll do well. Also, let's get some new weapons and visors in there. I think we could give the Ice Beam and X-Ray Visor a break, hmm?
God I love Metroid...

I would love a third person Metroid I always felt the direction should have been that way to begin with.

Back