The Wii GPU

PersianCowboy

WiiChat Member
Nov 28, 2006
Oklahoma City
Wii Online Code
6258-4013-0776-5311
How powerful is the GPU compared to a Xbox 1 or Gamecube GPU? And what would it amount to as a ATI graphics card on the PC?

Which ATI GPU for the PC? There are dozens.

(Article above is the best read to answer this question.)

Last edited:
vagrant said:
Consoles use different GPU's from the PC GPU lines.

No...really? What's that got to do with anything? The question was how do they compare to the PC line. Not which GPU from the PC line is it using. I think most of us know it's different.

Geckotek said:
No...really? What's that got to do with anything? The question was how do they compare to the PC line. Not which GPU from the PC line is it using. I think most of us know it's different.

Your quote that i replied to was you saying;

Which ATI GPU for the PC? There are dozens.

Guess you didn't understand my post then.

He asked how does it compare to an ATI card for the PC. I asked which one?

Geckotek said:
Guess you didn't understand my post then.

He asked how does it compare to an ATI card for the PC. I asked which one?

And I basically answered that they really aren't something you should compare.

vagrant said:
And I basically answered that they really aren't something you should compare.

I agree. They design PC models to be compatible with many different PC setups. When designing for a console they can specifically tailor the chip to that console since thats the only thing it will be used in.

The wii gpu is...a beefed up X1600.

The reason it'll run a lot better than a 1600 is the same reason any console gains performance against a PC.

More time for the devs to tweak it. And like csiguy4u said, it's tailored for gameplay.

Oh, and a much larger power supply. You have around a 300 to 400W supply on a PC (on average) whereas the Wii is only sucking up 17W with a game playing (or so I've heard).

vagrant said:
Not to mention PC's have a ton more processing behind them to power your gpu.

Huh? The GPU removes the processing of 3D graphics from the CPU.

They can be compared, although a true direct comparison isn't exactly possible, you can give someone a good idea of where it lies.

Geckotek said:
Huh? The GPU removes the processing of 3D graphics from the CPU.

They can be compared, although a true direct comparison isn't exactly possible, you can give someone a good idea of where it lies.

If you do not send data quick enough to the GPU, the cpu will bottleneck.

i.e. they say you will need roughly 20 modern processors to power the quadplex gpu developed by nvidia.

Back