When will there be an ample supply?

RJU690

WiiChat Member
Mar 31, 2007
Atlanta
When do you predict that the supply will finally catch up with the demand and it will be possible to purchase a Nintendo Wii without the hassle of waiting in line for hours or purchasing it over-priced on eBay?

My friend told me that Nintendo was soon opening a new manufacturing facility to produce Wiis which could increase the supply. Is this true?

I think Nintendo really is holding up on some Wii's or the retailers are.Its like if someone have you a whole box of pizza you would say i don't want it all i just want 3 slices but if they feed you one at a time you'll eventually finish the whole box.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26741/Wii-shortages-until-2009

Wii shortages until 2009
10:30, Apr 25th 2007 by Ben Furfie
Expert predicts demand will outstrip supply for two more years.
Following the release of NPD’s March sales figures in the US, analysts have reviewed the stats and outlined predictions for where the market is heading.

“Q1 is looking like the beginning of an up-cycle year,” said Billy Pidgeon, video game analyst for IDC. “There’s good software movement, but hardware is stalled a bit by short Wii supply and stagnant demand for 360 and PS3.”

Nintendo’s console sold 259,000 compared to 199,000 and 130,000 units for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Sony’s Playstation 3.

Pidgeon is adamant that Nintendo could have sold many more machines, had the supply been available: “I believe the Wii will continue strong growth although supply continues to be a problem. I’d like to see Wii hardware shipping in larger quantities or mass-market consumers may cool on it. Having said that, I don’t believe supply will be met for the Wii until 2009.”

But he was keen to point out that the lack of Wii stock will not necessarily mean increased sales of the other next generation consoles. “Xbox 360 and PS3 need system-selling games as soon as possible. Halo 3 will help,” he added. “But that leaves a hole in Q2 which will be filled by Wii, DS and PSP hardware and software. We’ll also see more PC and PS2 software picking up the slack.”

Pidgeon’s comments come the day after NPD analyst Anita Frazier suggested PC gaming was on the rise thanks to increased sales of role-playing games.

the world may never know, each week at least 1600-1700 are shipped in the US and canada alone. Just wait.

Wiiownu said:
the world may never know, each week at least 1600-1700 are shipped in the US and canada alone. Just wait.

Way more than that. 1,700 a week is 6,800 a month. Do you really believe the Wii sells only a mere 6,800 a month in the US AND Canada? More like 400,000.

Damn it makes me sad to hear that people still haven't got a wii. I was expecting the wii to do well but I was suprised to see it doing THIS well. Well I am happy its doing well and I hope that you get one soon. Goodluck. :thumbsup:

i think you'll be able to find them between july-september. But as soon as there is some great games in the oct/nov area they will be just as hard to get.

I expect it sooner than most--at the very least, some local areas where demand is lower than average may make for easer shopping. This last weekend, three chains in my area all got stock at the same time instead of just one. If that's a one time thing, it won't change the status quo, but if it keeps up, Wiis will be easier to find soon. I certainly expect it sooner than 2009, but I've been wrong before. Repeatedly.

Stories full of hype continue to appear as mainstream outlets 'suddenly' discover the Wii and do a several month old story about it's unexpected success. Some people will buy it just because of the hype. But they may not be fans for long--they may not have reasonable expectations and may sour quickly. If they ever flood their systems on ebay, that could help supply catch up.

I don't really believe Nintendo is faking supply issues. The success of the Wii was greater than expected, and everyone from retailers to 3rd party developers were caught off guard.

I don't believe this wiii problems will go on till 2009....I'm thinking they should be stable by spring 2008

My guess would probably be after mid 2009 unfortunately.

RJU690 said:
When do you predict that the supply will finally catch up with the demand and it will be possible to purchase a Nintendo Wii without the hassle of waiting in line for hours or purchasing it over-priced on eBay?
supply already has caught up with demand, just not supply they are willing to give us

Back