WiFi or LAN Adapter?

bc92188

WiiChat Member
Oct 23, 2007
Whenever I buy Guitar Hero III next week, I am going to be getting either a WiFi or LAN adapter to go with it, because there are no wireless networks around me. I like the concept of the WiFi adapter because my computer is next to my Wii, and the LAN adapter would require me to transfer my ethernet cable every time I wanted to play online.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with either of these products and could tell me which one would be the better deal for me to get?

I got all 3 sorta, My friend got a WiFi adapter, I got wireless and cousin got Lan. A wireless router is by far best, user friendly, works all the time, faster, get a router

zurukea said:
I got all 3 sorta, My friend got a WiFi adapter, I got wireless and cousin got Lan. A wireless router is by far best, user friendly, works all the time, faster, get a router
That's completely subjective.

Many people have ahd trouble with all 3. I'm personally on LAN adaptor and mine works perfectly.

I would advise you not to get the Wifi dongle though, heats up like supernova and is sometimes unreliable.

Router would be advisable, so long as you're tech savvy enough to get it up and working.

If you don't feel confident setting up a wireless router, I'd go for the LAN.

zurukea said:

Are you nuts? There is NOTHING faster than a hard wired connection... If you can and couldn't care less about switching every time then just get the Lan adaptar, I am sure they sell switch boxes some where if you really get annoyed by it... Lan adapter is the way to go, I used to just use the wifi cause I have a wifi router but I decided why not use the cord that runs up to my room. So much better and nothing interferes with a wired connection. All sorts of things can mess with a wireless connection. It's just not the most stable thing obviously.

The only problem is, I don't really have the money for the router, and I might have trouble with the LAN connection because it's going through my campus network and I couldn't connect with my PS2, and my friend's 360 had trouble connecting through the campus network too. That's why I'm mostly considering the WiFi adapter right now. I'm just trying to make sure I am choosing the right thing.

bc92188 said:
The only problem is, I don't really have the money for the router, and I might have trouble with the LAN connection because it's going through my campus network and I couldn't connect with my PS2, and my friend's 360 had trouble connecting through the campus network too. That's why I'm mostly considering the WiFi adapter right now. I'm just trying to make sure I am choosing the right thing.
Surely any Wifi adaptor would have to go through your internet connection too, and therefore pose the exact same problem?

So, I assume that you're in "halls" of sorts?

Yeah, but doesn't the WiFi adapter just use the connection from my computer? 'Cause my computer connects to the internet fine, I think it's just game systems that have the trouble.

bc92188 said:
Yeah, but doesn't the WiFi adapter just use the connection from my computer? 'Cause my computer connects to the internet fine, I think it's just game systems that have the trouble.
I use the Nintendo WiFi adapter and it works great for me. The WiFi runs off the internet on the computer so you shouldn't have any problems. The only reason it won't work is if you are too far away from the WiFi connector. Mine is on the opposite side of my house and it still works great

Auntphil said:
I use the Nintendo WiFi adapter and it works great for me. The WiFi runs off the internet on the computer so you shouldn't have any problems. The only reason it won't work is if you are too far away from the WiFi connector. Mine is on the opposite side of my house and it still works great

Does it really get as hot as people say it does after awhile?

(The fact that the strength is good is awesome, cause my wii is like 4 feet away from my computer. )

It gets warm but it won't catch on fire. But that doesn't bother me because it does what i need it to do. I have it connected to the back of my computer with an USB extension to move it away from my computer tower. And i never remove it from my computer. If its that close to the wii you should have no problem at all.

Auntphil said:
It gets warm but it won't catch on fire. But that doesn't bother me because it does what i need it to do. I have it connected to the back of my computer with an USB extension to move it away from my computer tower. And i never remove it from my computer. If its that close to the wii you should have no problem at all.
How long have you had the USB dongle?

Mine went ka-put within around the 6 months mark (possibly 7 or 8).

Also, I assume that you're using the USB 2.0.

Lastly, bc92188, you may do better with the dongle on second thoughts. It's relatively easy to install, and doesn't require anything else.

My LAN thing is done through my router, and since you don't have one, that may be a problem (although reportedly you can do it straight through your computer, you might just need a slightly different cable to the one provided (but those can be picked up cheap - judging from other people's experience)).

Squall7 said:
How long have you had the USB dongle?

Mine went ka-put within around the 6 months mark (possibly 7 or 8).

Also, I assume that you're using the USB 2.0.

Lastly, bc92188, you may do better with the dongle on second thoughts. It's relatively easy to install, and doesn't require anything else.

My LAN thing is done through my router, and since you don't have one, that may be a problem (although reportedly you can do it straight through your computer, you might just need a slightly different cable to the one provided (but those can be picked up cheap - judging from other people's experience)).

Well, if there is no trouble with the dongle using USB 2.0, then I should be fine with it, and I don't think I'll have too many connection troubles with it cause it'll be like 4 feet away from my Wii.

i've had mine for 2 months now it still works great. And yes I am using USB 2.0 with it.

Back