Wii and Netflix

abwddy2k

WiiChat Member
Mar 11, 2008
Anyone have any idea if there will ever be a way to watch Netflix on Demand videos over the Interent feature on the Wii. I think it would be a a great feature to have. I would deffinetly pay for the Internet plugin for my Wii is I could.

Doubt it... for a couple of reasons...
One: The wifi inteface of the wii doesnt seem to be quite fast enough to support a decent quality streaming video feed. Even with the USB wired adapter I seem to get much slower speeds than my PC. May be a slow I/O bus problem.
Two: Streaming media still requires a good bit of storage space. (Especially if you wanna be able to rewind) along with your downloaded games 512mb probably wouldnt be enough to provide a nice large buffer...

If they would make it work the sucess rate would be marginal I think. Nintendo isnt gonna want to put a feature on their machine that wont work properly for many people. I think there are just too many varables. You'll have to have plenty of room on your wii, you'll have to have a nice very high speed "very reliable" internet connection... and you'll have to have a good connection between the wii and your router.
It would amaze you how many people have very unreliable internet connection which has many problems that are not apparent with every day web browsing and stuff but would never work properly for high bandwidth applications.

There's already a streaming video channel for the Wii in Japan ("Minna no Theater Wii" ("Everybody's Theater Wii" in English)). It's reported to deliver "near DVD" quality streaming video.
More info here: http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/01/27/vc-tuesday-japans-theater/
and: http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2008/12/19/everybodys-wii-theater-dated-priced-in-japan/

There's already talk of it coming to the US this year.

So there's no significant technical reasons why streaming video could not be done, although I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Netflix streaming to come to the Wii though.

Edit - found a youtube demo of the Japan service:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HujsS7WB1GQ[/ame]

Last edited:
I usually use tv-links.cc to watch my movies online with wii.. i think alot of them have a time limit on how much bandwith you use. but so far its worked good for me.

I think that media through gaming systems is definitely something nintendo needs to look into however, the Wii just doesn't have the hardware to handle high definition streaming. At best you could watch some movies or shows but the quality would suffer.

Netflix and the Wii

I know this is an older post I stumbled across, but for anyone who doesn't know, this spring (2010) Netflix is releasing software for the Wii, so we can start viewing movies through our Wii consoles. You can order the software through your online account, and then once they start sending the software they will send yours. Hope this helps someone!

I know this is an older post I stumbled across, but for anyone who doesn't know, this spring (2010) Netflix is releasing software for the Wii, so we can start viewing movies through our Wii consoles. You can order the software through your online account, and then once they start sending the software they will send yours. Hope this helps someone!

The discs were already shipped a few weeks ago. There's another thread here about it.

Back