Wii Forecast, Accurate?

DarkenSpirit

Grey Knight
Dec 20, 2006
Pennslyvania
South Pole Weather Data

These data are the average of hourly measurements obtained at the South Pole Observatory between 0000 and 2300 UT on 30 Apr 2002

* Air Temperature: -55.7 °C ( -68.3 °F )
* Dew Point: -59.0 °C ( -74.2 °F )
* Air Pressure: 687.09 mbar
* Wind Speed: 4.4 m/s
* Wind Direction: 107.9 degrees ( ESE )
* Wind "Steadiness Factor": 98.7
* Precipitation: 0 mm

For more information (or more data), see the NOAA page explaining these data.
http://astro.uchicago.edu/cara/southpole.edu/weather2.html
-------------------

Well thats odd isnt it, because my forecast says its -14°C at the South Pole... so how accurate is this weathernews huh? :) :eek:ut:

http://www.wunderground.com/global/Region/AN/Temperature.html

well doing more research it turns out its possible for the south pole to reach temperatures that high, as high as -25 degrees celsuis, however the south pole on the wii is dead center and it appears its frigid always there o.o

I dunno anyone got any ideas on this one? Im just curious thats all =P Can't seem to get an actual definitive answer :wtf:

Yea i noticed the date too but its the only actual solid data it has. However if you look at the chart and compare i suppose the temperature would be only slightly different, no?

The average for December in 1998 was -28.6 degrees celsuis, The other website said temperatures could get high as -15 during the summer time. But could the earth warmed up that much since then? It just seems the south pole would have been long gone if temperatures were that high >>

EDIT

http://www.antarcticconnection.com/antarctic/weather/index.shtml

this website has a little thing on the right saying the current temperature is -30, soo... eh i dunno =P

Last edited:
you realize that right now the southpole is getting a crap load of sunlight and will be getting it for a real long time, daylight=what? like 32 weeks? but with all that sunlight and reflection from the snow, the air temp would be a but high right now. An I beleive in my recent two science classes they mentiond that the southern pole air currents have change recently so that may explain the dif between 1998 and nows temp

That makes sense, I suppose I was more worried about the air temperature than the actual like core temperature, I suppose this matters in places like the south pole. So I suppose the Wii Forecast takes air temperature then? and how accurate has it been for you guys, compared to tv news weather casts?

DarkenSpirit said:
That makes sense, I suppose I was more worried about the air temperature than the actual like core temperature, I suppose this matters in places like the south pole. So I suppose the Wii Forecast takes air temperature then? and how accurate has it been for you guys, compared to tv news weather casts?
Mine has been accurate, It predicted a snow/rain mix... I waited all day keeping that in mind and was a bit dissapointed but like at 7pm here it started snowing/raining! and the current weather is pretty accurate too, but I live maybe 20-30 Miles from my charted town so, a degree or two off from that distance is pretty damn good!

Back