Wii Gaming - Quality of Experiences?

Rolex

Moody Loner
Dec 26, 2006
Norway
Wii Online Code
6825-6610-9310-1313
I have been playing a recent crop of games for the Wii lately but also checking out the multi-format reviews on a broad range of games and the Wii doesn't seem to be getting the quality of titles that the number of sales seems to denote...let me explain!

I am currently playing:
Godfather
SSX
RE:4
Scarface

I also own:
Zelda
Redsteel
COD3
Kororinpa
Sports (of course)
Rayman
NfSC

And after my initial euphoria at the Wii's control system with Sports - I feel that the standard of gaming isn't really progressing with nearly a year in.

Only Sports and Godfather really give us an insight into what the gesticulated control system can do - all the rest are either tacked(ish) on or ports and even franchise sequels of uninspiring multi-format titles. [Although to be fair Redsteel also made me sit up and take notice..and it still plays differently from any other format style game:thumbsup: ]

I can predict that responses to this will be "but what about SSBB, MP3, SMG etc etc" but these are surely to be great games but in the massive scheme of things - very little reward in relation to what Wii-Sports actually promised as a revolution in gaming control...isn't it?!?

Where will the filler come from that will keep "gamers" interested in-between these maybe modern classics? WiiFit aint gonna change the "core gaming" experience but will benefit the overall user base for Wii - but hey we do need some sort of distraction from more in-depth titles.
[Please don't trot out the lists of mini-game titles - I am aware of them but I can't really consider them core titles - more like dip n play games surely]

I find that the more I spend and the more I play, the less I see the promise I had truly believed was going to be available from this control system.

If we continue to get slack/shovelware with limited Wii unique controls then won't it leave us all wondering if PS3 or XBox360 can do the same but do it that much better.....?

Any more thoughts out there..?

Last edited:
I partly agree with you, however some games have gone under the radar that effectively use the Wii-Remotes motion controls. These include games like Harry Potter that scored better on the Wii then its high graphical based counterparts due to its innovative motion control. There are games coming, I'm interested in not only the big 3, but also BW2 and Zack and Wiki that all seem to be making good use of the control. However the pace at which these games are coming out is fairly slow, though one must consider the age of the system. Many companies were holding out putting recourses behind the Wii before seeing its success.

Last edited:
Eagles said:
I partly agree with you, however some games have gone under the radar that effectively use the Wii-Remotes motion controls. Games like Harry Potter that scored better on the Wii then its high graphical based counterparts due to its innovative motion control. There are games coming, I'm interested in not only the big 3, but also BW2 and Zack and Wiki that all seem to be making good use of the control. However the pace at which these games are coming out is fairly slow, though one must consider the age of the system. Many companies were holding out putting recourses behind the Wii before seeing its success.

Thanks for the reply.

Whilst I agree with your rhetoric on the whole - and HP was better received than all the other formats, as was Godfather of course.

But where are the games specifically built for the Wii control system, the uniqueness, the "can't be done on other systems" - don't appear to be on the radar in my opinion. Although Z&W does look really good!!

Rolex said:
Thanks for the reply.

Whilst I agree with your rhetoric on the whole - and HP was better received than all the other formats, as was Godfather of course.

But where are the games specifically built for the Wii control system, the uniqueness, the "can't be done on other systems" - don't appear to be on the radar in my opinion. Although Z&W does look really good!!

Yes you are quite correct, games like SSBB and Galaxy could easily be done on another systems due to their more button oriented game play. Lets hope from here on in we get more games that uniquely use the Wii motion controls like MP3, Wii Sports ect. Perhaps out hope lie in Mario Kart Wii, that would definately work, or a Pikmin sequal. Games like these could definately use the Wii controls well.

i was abit dissapointed about e3. the wii didnt even end up winiing 1 prize for best puzzle ECT. this was abit dissapointing since i thought wii would OWN at e3 this year because of the sales, i just hope 3rd party developers start making some better games and games that are worthy, but hopefully better games from nintendo will influence 3rd party's. thank god for zac and wiki, it owns

....wiiiiiii..... said:
i was abit dissapointed about e3. the wii didnt even end up winiing 1 prize for best puzzle ECT. this was abit dissapointing since i thought wii would OWN at e3 this year because of the sales, i just hope 3rd party developers start making some better games and games that are worthy, but hopefully better games from nintendo will influence 3rd party's. thank god for zac and wiki, it owns

To be fair tho - E3 for Nintendo was never really going to be about the core releases imo. WiiFit was meant to wow but didn't quite have the desired impact but at least it had some!! Nintendo know that they can't really compete with the more standard format titles in which graphics are more prominent.

I was expecting more "Wii" titles to be on show - in the vein of Fit / Music and even to some extent Wii-Channels etc.. more generic Wii functionality if you like.

It certainly wasn't a shock and awe sort of show [a little off topic ;)]

Last edited:
On release the real questioning of Wii was if it could handle and do well "normal" games. There will always be a place for the Mario Galaxies and the Smash Bros of this world and the point is not that they can't be done on the other consoles but that they can be done on Wii. Alongside this we have all our more Wii-controls specific games. It's not a problem, variety is absolutely essential and it looks like thats what we will be getting.

2007 was the year of shock Wii success. Shock being the key word.
2008 should be the year where Wii really kicks on with some quality games some of which we know about and many of which we don't.

DazzeL said:
On release the real questioning of Wii was if it could handle and do well "normal" games. There will always be a place for the Mario Galaxies and the Smash Bros of this world and the point is not that they can't be done on the other consoles but that they can be done on Wii. Alongside this we have all our more Wii-controls specific games. It's not a problem, variety is absolutely essential and it looks like thats what we will be getting.

Wii has such a plethora of control options, that for me personally; it's the normal games which are never going to be an issue; little did I think that the Wii-specific, i.e: motion gestured only games, would take so long to come out.

By this I do mean that control systems which just can't be emulated on PS/XB, a la WiiSports.
Take Scarface for example, the controls have been implemented but don't make you feel that the experience would be less if using a regular controller.

Overall games with control systems which are built specifically from the ground up need to be forefront for Wii game development.

This is being promised but just doesn't seem to be happening....does it??

Back