Wii Gun tracking problem

zoot

WiiChat Member
Feb 10, 2008
OK so here's my setup...
55" tv
standard Nintendo wii sensor on to of tv
Wii set to sensor on top, widescreen
No modifications to the Wii or remotes. Everything is out of the box.

I normally do all aiming with the Wii remote based on where the cursor is on the screen. That is I don't put the remote inline with my eye.

Now the problem.

So I picked up the Wii Link Crossbow and a couple of aftermarket Wii guns, of course the Link Crossbow game and RE4.
No matter where I sit, directly in front, off to the side, 5' away, 10' away, etc. I have a problem tracking based on site. If I try to line up the gun like you would in real life or at an arcade shooter I noticed that the wii on screen target matches the visual site when I'm centered on the screen but as soon as I start to move to either side or up or down the cursor on screen moves at a different rate so that your aim doesn't match the on screen cursor.

I tried playing around with the Wii settings, senor sensitivity and moving around the room. I've even turned all of the lights off in the room so there's no light sources affecting the Wii.

I did some searching around online and found a few people that have experimented with making a bigger/longer senor bar but that didn't help.

RE4 is definately playable if I don't want to try and aim visually, but if you want to hold the gun and try to play it like a true shooter it ruins the experience for me.

Does any body have any suggestions or has anybody else seen this problem?

Thank you and if there's already a post about this please direct me to that location, I am a new user and appologize if I missed the post in my searches.
Thanks!

did you know that light guns as we-know-them do not work on plasma, lcd, and other modern technology? (although there are some in the works). today's consoles do not have Light Guns... only cross hairs to be compatible with old and new TVs.

there is NO calibration... it could take 10-15 minutes to adjust your actions to have great cosshair control. :yesnod:

it's all relavant to the play... exact location of the sensor bar, your exact point of where you stand... shooting from the hip or from the chest...

i have my sensor bar hotglued to the bottom of my tv, but configured the wii to think it's on top of the tv... this helps me hold my Wii Zapper in a more natural position since my TV is mounted 5' in the air.

what really matters is the sensitivity of the remote and the distance from the senor bar... for links crossbow, i shoot from my rib cage and adjust the sight to move as slow as possible and adjusted the elevation so that my zapper points lower (probably not even at the screen at all!!!)

when you're into the game YOU get a feel of smoothly moving the crosshairs... the only difference i feel when playing is when i'm too close or too far from the sensor bar...

typically i'm 3-4 feet away but have smooth crosshairs at even 6 feet away.

Update from MikeTheAsian: Ghost Squad does have a calibration tool that's just for the Ghost Squad game... you get more points for not using the crosshairs. :yesnod:

I imagine even Ghost Squad will need re-calibrated if you shift your feet much from your original calibration spot.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the reply!

First off I meant RE UC not, RE 4.

Second, I'm with you on aiming. I don't mind or have any problems aiming from the the hip or chest. It's actually more comfortable to relax and aim based on the cursor location and the feel for moving it, it's just I bought these guns to play RE UC like an actual arcade shooter and I can't get it to be playable that way.

I did just find a post where somebody was talking about "aim lag" on an HD tv. Somebody posted that component cables help HD tv's with lag. That's my situation so now I'm looking at picking up some component cables.

idjut said:
are your dong component cable research... save your time and read this for the right cable, zoot :yesnod::yesnod:

That is EXACTLY what I was doing!!! Thanks! You're the bomb!

thank you so much, zoot! :)

you should visit my awesome profile... it's informative :yesnod:

WOW you do have a bunch of info there! I'll definitely be checking out more of your posts!

I need to get some stuff up on my profile and get an avitar and sig up.

Thanks again! I'll let you know if the HD cables help.

Ok, I have the answer to your question:

GHOST SQUAD!!!!!!!

It's the only game out for the Wii so far that lets you calibrate the wii remote so that your cursor aims where you ACTUALLY aim the wii remote. I own it, and it works ridiculously well, almost like at the arcades. It works so well, that you can turn the cursor off for more points. and hey, at 30 bucks why not?

idjut said:
oh my... i do sigs and avys too! :wink:

I saw that! You work looks great!

Geez is there anything you don't know about or do?! LOL

by the way, it works because, when you go into options, it asks you to stand back a bit, and shoot the corners. If you had a small tv, this would kind of suck. But with a 55" tv like yours, it would be perfect (I have a 40" lcd, and playing ghost squad is like being at the arcade for me:) hope i helped!!

MikeTheAsian said:
by the way, it works because, when you go into options, it asks you to stand back a bit, and shoot the corners. If you had a small tv, this would kind of suck. But with a 55" tv like yours, it would be perfect (I have a 40" lcd, and playing ghost squad is like being at the arcade for me:) hope i helped!!

I am definitely going to check that game out. I wish RE UC had a calibration on it. I hope future shooters do.

Yea, unfortunately Ghost Squad is a REALLY short game. But the calibration makes up for it immensely. I'll upload some video later this week.

I'm hoping in the future, they'll make games that are longer AND use the calibration *crosses fingers*

Back