Wii hd tv cable?

eyeronik

WiiChat Member
Mar 28, 2008
Ive just got my wii and I dont really want to use the scart as its already got two in, so I thought I could use some sort of hd input. The problem is Ive got 2 hdmi ports and I know wii doesnt like those, but Ive got an s-video, vga and 4 ports next to each other with red, yellow, green and blue, what that is I dont know? I see theres a hd componant cable but Ive only got this 4 slot thing, does anyone know if the componant cable will work in that or do they all have to be plugged in?

If no good, is there a red, yellow, green and blue cable? Or some sort of vga adaptor? What a silly tv!

(im from the uk if anyone gives links, cheers)

eyeronik said:
Ive just got my wii and I dont really want to use the scart as its already got two in, so I thought I could use some sort of hd input. The problem is Ive got 2 hdmi ports and I know wii doesnt like those, but Ive got an s-video, vga and 4 ports next to each other with red, yellow, green and blue, what that is I dont know? I see theres a hd componant cable but Ive only got this 4 slot thing, does anyone know if the componant cable will work in that or do they all have to be plugged in?

If no good, is there a red, yellow, green and blue cable? Or some sort of vga adaptor? What a silly tv!

(im from the uk if anyone gives links, cheers)

You will need to buy a component cable for the wii to plug it in to the red, green and blue slots on the back of your telly. There should also be red and white slots for the sound, making 5 slots in all. If all you want to do is avoid using the SCART, then look for red/white/yellow slots on the back of the tv and just use the cable supplied with the console.

122025.jpg

In the picture above, the Yellow input at the bottom is where you put the wii cable supplied with the console. the GBR inputs are for component cables, and the red & white are for sound. Both the cables supplied with the wii and component cables (google it, they're about £20) have those red/white inputs for sound.

Those are the standard inputs, and there is no HDMI cable for the wii.

Don't know if you're in the UK...if you are Maplin sell them for £12, got one the other day.

ITs a bit bizarre really because I have 4 red and white ones, and the ones I mentioned but the red and white ones are on the side of the tv, no where near the coloured ones!

I think ill get something from maplins then, strange setup my tv, hanspree 32" one

Ive just stretched over the cables and it works as AV using the yellow, and red and white ones, luckily the wire splits off, so thats good. :)

Still wondering if I should have got a 360 instead...

I'm largely disappointed with the Wii, although Scarface and Zelda have been great fun, I'm waiting for the next bonus check to buy a PS3

The Wii isn't about high-def, the Wii is about unique, fun games and a revolutionary new type of controller and way of interacting with said games.

If you wanted lots of high-def FPSes, sports, and racing games using traditional controllers... then yes, the PS3 or XBox 360 would've probably been better.

Hey sremick, what if a guy like me(I'm a guy like me) wants "lots of high-def FPSes, sports, and racing games AND a revolutionary new type of controller and way of interacting with said games"? Then what do I do?

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. I'm just sayin....cool games and cool controls woulda been nice. I mean, why can't Nintendo come out with some cool FPS's and racing games? It would make even more people want one...(more so than now even). It seems to me like they are just sitting around rollin in cash and not expanding the console like they could(should).

[End Mini Rant]

They could put high-end hardware in the Wii, but then two things would happen:

1) The Wii would be outside the $250 price demographic which is a major part of the Wii's success

2) The Wii would be selling at a loss, requiring Nintendo to only make money off games. At the moment, Nintendo is the only game console maker who actually makes a profit for every console being sold, which is a big part of the Wii's success.

Nintendo made a compromise, and it ended up being the right decision. It was a delicate balance... if they had gone with cheaper hardware or more-expensive hardware, it would've tipped things against them.

What I wanted to hear was "the next version of the wii will have amazing graphics and super sweeeet games to boot"

Bah humbug...LOL

Well, I think it's a safe bet that whatever console Nintendo comes out with next will have better graphics than the Wii. And all Nintendo consoles come out with fun games that end up being very popular.

To be honest with you, if your crazy TV has a standard red yellow white where you would normally plug er in, I would just stick with that. I got a pair of the ol HD cables only to find out that the wii picture quality only goes from 480p to 480i. :wtf:

And let me tell you IT IS BARELY NOTICEABLE and insignificant. I think it would be a more essiental investment if you had a system such as a ps3:crazy:

Component to HDMI converter switch

You can connect the Wii using component. There is a special cable available now.

If you want to connect all by HDMI:

Most HD sources now are outputting by HDMI. If you already have multiple HD players and prefer to connect the Wii via HDMI ( so the HDTV can always be left on HDMI Input) you can use a Component to HDMI coverter.
This one does the component to HDMI conversion and also has a 3 input HDMI switch, so you can connect other HDMI sources.

component to HDMI converter

Note: the component input is not upconverted.

To be honest with you, if your crazy TV has a standard red yellow white where you would normally plug er in, I would just stick with that. I got a pair of the ol HD cables only to find out that the wii picture quality only goes from 480p to 480i. :wtf:

And let me tell you IT IS BARELY NOTICEABLE and insignificant. I think it would be a more essiental investment if you had a system such as a ps3:crazy:

Curious as to what size of TV you are talking about this being barely noticeable on? Granted it's not like going from 480i to 1080p, but on my 65" DLP set, 480p IS DRASTICALLY better looking than 480i. Well worth the money for the component cable for me.

Curious as to what size of TV you are talking about this being barely noticeable on? Granted it's not like going from 480i to 1080p, but on my 65" DLP set, 480p IS DRASTICALLY better looking than 480i. Well worth the money for the component cable for me.
You're most likely not going to get an answer from him seeing how this thread is over a year old.

Back