Wii U Hardware Issues Could Delay Release Date

Maura

Super Moderator
Jul 7, 2011
UK
maura-albums-pictures-picture8672-wii-u-2.jpg

Industry Gamers is reporting that Nintendo has come up against some problems with the manufacturing of the forthcoming Wii U, which may even mean that the projected release period of June 2012 has now slipped back to possibly September or even December 2012. According to a story on French website, 01.net, Nintendo has been having problems with the Wii U architecture, which the source says it “rushed through the door with undesirable consequences.” Specifically, the report says that this has caused issues with the touchscreen controller, which Nintendo still cannot get to work properly, according to the unconfirmed report. The issues are said to have affected the controller’s streaming and wireless features, so much so that developers are only able to work with a tethered controller at present. The story also goes on to report even more Wii U woes for Nintendo, saying that the main chipset that Nintendo has chosen for the Wii U is “a tad too cheap” because Nintendo is trying to hard to reduce production costs as much as possible. This report has so far not been confirmed or commented on by Nintendo, so there's no way of knowing how accurate it is, but Industry Gamers notes that 01.net has a good track record with Nintendo news, so make of that what you will.

Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/wii-u-hardware-in-development-hell---report/

^^^
Second.jpg

Nintendo's M.O. has always been lower cost, but still great games. Now that they're trying to deliver epic technology while still trying to keep their console cheap, they've run into a snag... Can't say I'm surprised. =( I'm sure they'l figure it out without tacking on another $50 to the WiiU's price, though. Even if we end up waiting another year, I won't care. So long as we get the WiiU as revolutionary as they claim, that's all that matters.

Back