Wii won't find my DLink DI-524 wlan router

rashktah

WiiChat Member
Dec 16, 2006
Hi!

I bought a Wii today and tried to connect it to the online services.

I own a DLink DI-524 wlan router and my Nintendo DS had no problems at all to find its access point. I just ran the Wlan search uitlity, the DS found my router and everything was set up very easily (WEP settings and everything...).

The Wii, on the other hand, does not even find my router when searching for access points. The DI-524 does not even show up on the Wii's list of SSIDs.

I can't (and won't) believe that the DS has no problems at all connecting to my DI-524, but the Wii does not even find it?

Does anybody know what I can do to get my Wii connected...?

Thank you very much!

I know it's stupid, but you could try going into manual setup and telling the Wii the SSID. Try that.

The DI-524 is a 802.11G router. The Wii is 802.11B based. Unless you can set the router to mixed b/g mode you will need to buy another one

I fixed the problem!!

My router was transmitting on channel 10, I only had to set it to send on channel 6 to enable my Wii to find it's SSID.

All done, thank you very much!

gbesta said:
The DI-524 is a 802.11G router. The Wii is 802.11B based. Unless you can set the router to mixed b/g mode you will need to buy another one

The 802.11g protocol is backward compatible with 802.11b devices.

shady78 said:
The 802.11g protocol is backward compatible with 802.11b devices.
Not entirely. If you set a router to 802.11g mode only, then suddenly 802.11b devices stop working. You have to set it to mixed mode for both to work. I own that router, I know how it works. The standards are so similar that backwards compatibility is a duh for manufacturer, but g is not by nature compatible with b.

gmi109 said:
Not entirely. If you set a router to 802.11g mode only, then suddenly 802.11b devices stop working. You have to set it to mixed mode for both to work. I own that router, I know how it works. The standards are so similar that backwards compatibility is a duh for manufacturer, but g is not by nature compatible with b.

Eh, you're totally right - my bad.

shady78 said:
Eh, you're totally right - my bad.
don't worry about it, there is so much techno babble out there today, its hard to remember all of it and keep it straight.:yesnod:

Back