will american wiii work in england

mich2315

WiiChat Member
Jan 12, 2008
hi everyone just a quick question if i bought a wii in america would it work in england some people have said it will others that it wont i am CONFUSED?

well i dont live in any of the two but i think u need an electrical adapter and is america pal or nestc or however it's spelt

mich2315 said:
hi everyone just a quick question if i bought a wii in america would it work in england some people have said it will others that it wont i am CONFUSED?
All electrical goods made for the US market are designed to run on 110v power. The UK uses 240v power.. .. .. if you plug it in directly it WILL go bang. The solution is to buy an official UK specific wii power cable, or a 3rd party replacement one that is designed to run on 240v.

Next issue is screen refresh rates. The UK uses the PAL tv system (50Hz) while the US uses NTSC (60Hz). A long time ago TV's for one region couldn't show the signal from the other. Now however that isn't the case, so if your TV is new enough then this is not an issue.

Finally, games and updates. Like DVD's and DVD players the Wii is region locked. You cannot play UK games on a US Wii (and vice-versa) unless you modify the console. The forum rules prevent discussion of such things so I'll leave it at that. Also the firmware updates are region specific too. However, if you don't mind being able to play the premium releases earlier than your British Wii owning friends, and you can bear paying less money for your games, then you could just import all of your games from the US.

captainff said:
All electrical goods made for the US market are designed to run on 110v power. The UK uses 240v power.. .. .. if you plug it in directly it WILL go bang. The solution is to buy an official UK specific wii power cable, or a 3rd party replacement one that is designed to run on 240v.

Next issue is screen refresh rates. The UK uses the PAL tv system (50Hz) while the US uses NTSC (60Hz). A long time ago TV's for one region couldn't show the signal from the other. Now however that isn't the case, so if your TV is new enough then this is not an issue.

Finally, games and updates. Like DVD's and DVD players the Wii is region locked. You cannot play UK games on a US Wii (and vice-versa) unless you modify the console. The forum rules prevent discussion of such things so I'll leave it at that. Also the firmware updates are region specific too. However, if you don't mind being able to play the premium releases earlier than your British Wii owning friends, and you can bear paying less money for your games, then you could just import all of your games from the US.

Sounds like you should just buy your Wii from your own country :lol: :yesnod:

Hi,

I bought a US Wii and I accidentally connected it to 230v. I just heard a sound. It wont start again. What should I do? Can I repair or I have to just buy new one?

Hi,

I bought a US Wii and I accidentally connected it to 230v. I just heard a sound. It wont start again. What should I do? Can I repair or I have to just buy new one?

You probably just need a new power supply for it (the brick thingy that plugs into the wall).

Back