Wireless Adapter?

MasterJedi2U

Banned
Jan 28, 2007
Durham, NC
Wii Online Code
5251-2094-6508-9892
Okay the User Guide for my Wireless Router has this in the instructions and I'm sorta confused. "For initial access to the Router through a wireless connection, make sure the PC’s wireless adapter has its SSID set to
linksys (the Router’s default setting), and its WEP encryption is disabled. After you have accessed the Router, you can change the Router and this PC’s adapter settings to match the your usual network settings."

My questions is do all computers come with a wireless adapter or is this something extra I also have to buy? And which one do I install/setup on the PC first? The Adapter or the Router?

Last edited:
They are talking about when you connect wirelessly. Usually you use a LAN cable to connect your PC directly to the router. Laptops and the Wii you would usually connect wirelessly.

That doesn't really answer my question but okay. I know I'm connecting my PC to the router wirelessly. I'm asking if there is something additional I need. (ie the Wireless Adapter). And if thats the case which should I install on the computer first? The Wireless Router or the Adapter?

MasterJedi2U said:
That doesn't really answer my question but okay. I know I'm connecting my PC to the router wirelessly. I'm asking if there is something additional I need. (ie the Wireless Adapter). And if thats the case which should I install on the computer first? The Wireless Router or the Adapter?

If you want to connect your PC wirelessly then you need a wireless card for you PC. You can't install a wireless router onto your pc since it is just a piece of hardware that doesn't need a PC to operate.

So you're trying to setup a wireless router on one computer and an adapter on another? Or the wireless router is already setup and you're trying to install an adapter on a new computer?

I'm trying to create a wireless network for my house. I've pretty much figured out most of the issues. It turns out that the computer modem had a Wireless A+G PCI Card so I can connect the router to the computer. My only other issue is that it says in the instructions to, "For initial access to the Router through a wireless connection, make sure the PC’s wireless adapter has its SSID set to linksys (the Router’s default setting), and its WEP encryption is disabled. After you have accessed the Router, you can change the Router and this PC’s adapter settings to match your usual network settings."

Now how do I go about doing that if the Wireless Card is already inside the computer?

Whats the point of even saying that? I've already BOUGHT everything smart one. I'm not going to just go give up and not install everything. IF you have nothing good or productive to say that might help me then stay out of it...

MasterJedi2U said:
Whats the point of even saying that? I've already BOUGHT everything smart one. I'm not going to just go give up and not install everything. IF you have nothing good or productive to say that might help me then stay out of it...

i was merely suggesting if things didnt turn out why not just take everything back, if possible, and buy the USB connector, well since yours so busy making an ass of yourself...consider myself stayed out

MasterJedi2U said:
I'm trying to create a wireless network for my house. I've pretty much figured out most of the issues. It turns out that the computer modem had a Wireless A+G PCI Card so I can connect the router to the computer. My only other issue is that it says in the instructions to, "For initial access to the Router through a wireless connection, make sure the PC’s wireless adapter has its SSID set to linksys (the Router’s default setting), and its WEP encryption is disabled. After you have accessed the Router, you can change the Router and this PC’s adapter settings to match your usual network settings."

Now how do I go about doing that if the Wireless Card is already inside the computer?

If the router is hooked up and the wireless adapter installed into your PC then all you should have to do is tell your PC to connect to the "linksys" network.

I"m asking about BEFORE I even start to install anything...it says to set the adapter's SSID to linksys. My "adapter" already came with the comp. So how do I do what its asking me to do. Thats all I really need to know...

Whats the point in snapping at hadou??

You go into your wireless options MyNetworkPlaces>View Network Connections you should have a computer labeled Wireless connection, right click>properties then i think its the second tab at the top, add a new wireless network and set the ssid name to linksys, click enter then if youve set the router, you should connect.

The instructions should tell you how to do it. Ive been able to do it since i was 10 :smilewinkgrin: *self taught* (just to rub it in)

First off I want to sincerely thank you for being the first person to actually offer any sort of real help. 2nd off I "snapped" at hadou because he was being an ass 1st. 3rd of all I find it hard to believe that you were connecting routers at age 10 unless you grew up around them or your family is some type of engineering focused one. But if you were then kudos to you. I've never had to deal with that stuff before so I'm only now taking a crash course in the world of Wireless Internet...:eek:

Last edited:
I did actually grow up around the internet from the age of 6 onwards, i apologize for boasting a little bit im just feeling a little bit of stress at the moment :) hope ive helped.

Back