xbox 360 question

ssbbw00t

WiiChat Member
Jul 18, 2007
im thinking of getting an xbob 360 but ive heard the 'short out' or somthing like that if u play it to long.

does this vary bye wich 360 u get or if u use a cooling fan?

i play my roomates and it freezes alll the time and he just recently got 3 rrod but we unplugged it and its better but still crap. people i know who have fans say theirs is fine. if i get one i will deff get a fan.

There is a new 360 that shouldn't have those problems. The 360 Elite or something like that. But why play 360 when you can play the wii? :D

no actually i think the elite has the same problems...and if he;d rather talk about wii i'm pretty sure this wouldnt be on the 360 board:/

I heard the Xbox 360s produced after September 2007 all have the new 65nm chip which prevents freezing and RROD. But only prevents, doesnt completely fix.

D1nner said:
I heard the Xbox 360s produced after September 2007 all have the new 65nm chip which prevents freezing and RROD. But only prevents, doesnt completely fix.
Exactly, most of the Elites, if not all of the ones out right now have that new chip-set which greatly reduces the likelihood of the RROD.

it varys with the older 360s but the new ones dont ever get the red ring of death i hear. so you should be fine. i play mine for hours at a time. never freezes.

i also play mine for hours at a time just got it last week never froze or had any problems at all with it. i have not touched my wii since i got my 360. i would say just don't keep it closed up or close to heat sources or anything and you should be fine

Also, try to avoid placing your 360 in a cramped area. By having your 360 out in the open, you avoid the chances of having it overheat.

There is an inherent design flaw in the 360 casing, cooling, and motherboard (from Microsoft? Who would have thought! :p ). Resolving it would require a significant price increase. The best you can do is proper cooling and that oh so handy already included MS extended warranty.

ALL 360's are updated for 65nm

ssbbw00t said:
im thinking of getting an xbob 360 but ive heard the 'short out' or somthing like that if u play it to long.

does this vary bye wich 360 u get or if u use a cooling fan?

All NEW Xbox 360's are updated with the new 65nm core and are completely redone in several areas.

The reason they froze and locked up was because of the sloppy job they did with the silicon paste. What would happen is the unit would get hot, the paste would melt (as it should) but because there was so MUCH of it... it would short out the pins causing the thing to fail to boot.

Thats why several methods would temporarily solve the problem (slapping the bottom of the 360, and the towel method).

BUT none of the 360's have this issue because all of them are running a new 65nm core and they took precautions to not make a mess of the silicon paste between the heatsink and the cpu's.

The newer 360's are different in alot of ways that lead outside of this discussion, but I can assure you that you shouldn't be afraid of buying a 360 anymore.

I have a new Elite and its wonderful. Quieter and doesn't get hot like the last series.

You also want to NOT get a cooler. A cooler will run off the internal power supply of the 360, which only makes it work harder, so the internals get hotter and draw more power. Its a vicious cycle that is pointless. The 360 shouldn't need a cooler.

Back