100 Million Wii's By 2012?

So unless they start breaking you dont think they will sell?

They already outsold ps2 sales for 1st year launch numbers... And it wouldnt take much to keep that pace considering we dont know what sales are even capable of because they cant meet demand of the consumers yet..

Ps2 Launched in March 2000

End of 2000
PS2 - 6.4 million
End of 2001
PS2 - 24.99 million
End of 2002
PS2 - 49.59 million
End of 2003
PS2 - 69.46 million
End of 2004
PS2 - 81.39 million
End of 2005
PS2 - 101.37 million

These sales increases over the years were not because of just broken PS2s it shows when Sony did price drops, big titles,redesigns ect....
That type of trend happens with alot of consoles... most sell the "LEAST" in there first year on the market... so saying 20 million is the best they can do and every year is going to be less is rediculous... Hardly any console in recent time has had its best year in its first year...
360 did better in its 2nd year over its first not much but better, aswell as the original xbox...

The first 3 years are the big years the first being the worst because of cost,supply,support, ect... after 3 years everyone might have one that really wants one... Then they do price drops and everyone that didnt really need one gets one anyways...

Still way to many people thinking this is a fad!
Its just how the industry works. Sorry if "your" console isnt in the lead and all but face facts and give it up.

Well I stand Corrected. But it was just my prediction/opinion if you read it.

But why the 'Sorry if "your" console isnt in the lead'? I could care less what console is in the lead. I still don't think its gonna break 100mill.

T3kNi9e said:
Wii sold around 19.5 million by the end of 2007 So I STRONGLY DOUBT Wii will sell another 19.5 by the end of 2008. No console ever sells the same amount the next year because demand drops. Most people who really wants it already have it. So sales will drop. In order for Wii to get 100mill in 5 years they have to sell 20 mill per year. So far they didnt meet the first years quota to get 100mill. This is why I doubt they can get 100mill by 2012. I think they will come close, but not 100mill. I do think Wii is more reliable than the PS2, its Nintendo! Their consoles never break down while PS2 had as much problems as the 360. So without the "my console broke, I need another one" factor, its going to be harder for Wii than the PS2.

Keep in mind though, that there are still people who can't find a Wii, and people who have held off buying one until good games arrive. 2008 has a bunch of good Wii titles, and should attract a good amount of interest. And keep in mind..Wii Sold 19.5 Million on very poor games overall, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy were the better ones of the whole year.

The only way nintendo is going to screw themself is if they dont meet demand soon... eventually people will give up and buy another console...

wezeles said:
So unless they start breaking you dont think they will sell?

They already outsold ps2 sales for 1st year launch numbers... And it wouldnt take much to keep that pace considering we dont know what sales are even capable of because they cant meet demand of the consumers yet..

Ps2 Launched in March 2000

End of 2000
PS2 - 6.4 million
End of 2001
PS2 - 24.99 million
End of 2002
PS2 - 49.59 million
End of 2003
PS2 - 69.46 million
End of 2004
PS2 - 81.39 million
End of 2005
PS2 - 101.37 million

These sales increases over the years were not because of just broken PS2s it shows when Sony did price drops, big titles,redesigns ect....
That type of trend happens with alot of consoles... most sell the "LEAST" in there first year on the market... so saying 20 million is the best they can do and every year is going to be less is rediculous... Hardly any console in recent time has had its best year in its first year...
360 did better in its 2nd year over its first not much but better, aswell as the original xbox...

The first 3 years are the big years the first being the worst because of cost,supply,support, ect... after 3 years everyone might have one that really wants one... Then they do price drops and everyone that didnt really need one gets one anyways...

Still way to many people thinking this is a fad!
Its just how the industry works. Sorry if "your" console isnt in the lead and all but face facts and give it up.

Great post man. You guys have to admit that this is done with hardly any real 3rd party support too. There are loads more people who have not played or tried the Wii. Wii sports is the main selling point right now also. People will continue to buy Wiis for the simple fact that they can actually sell them also.

Then on top of that you will have more announcements in the coming months of games that will be coming out in the spring. If no more hero does sell well then you may see suda 51 getting more money behind his games.

I've never seen a console sell like this the first year and it's not because people can't find one. It's no longer christmas people. People buy what they enjoy and most people understand every one enjoys the Wii. I mean web games have been around for a long time and people have just ended up playing more of them rather than getting tired of them. The only segment that is actually declining is hardcore game sales. It shrinks every year last time I spoke with some one about it. The PC market is getting hit the worst also just look at UT3 sales. Hey but it's bad on both systems.

Waiting for the Wii to die down is like waiting on people to stop having fun. The problem is Wii sports and other games will keep selling this system and it will always be new to the first time Wii owner. I mean really if people stop buying Wii play or sports then nintendo will just release a Wii sports killer since no one else can do this.

In a developer's mind there is an elephant in the room that they can't ignore any more. They all know the PS2 was dead in the water until the big games started to roll out.

Maybe this is what the PS3 fans are waiting on. Yet I'm not sure it's going to happen due to the price and the fact you will need a HDtv. Those HDMI cable are like buying a game right now...LOL I expect the PS3 to do just a little better than the xbox 360 by next year because the xbox 360 had some real show stoppers like Bio shock, gears of war, madden, mass effect and the fact that the graphics oooo000hhhh and ahhhh may have worn off if you start to look at UT3 sales. The hardcore are starting to get over the graphics thing and they are getting use to gears of war type graphics now. Yet now they want game play or at least some thing new. If i'm not mistakened metal gaer and final fantasy play just like the last version. So if you take a look at what I just said and the fact that PS3 owners don't buy games you start to see why the PS3 may actual sale less than the xbox 360 in the second year. Hopefully the big two game will pull people in since every thing else talking about is also going to be on the xbox 360.

So why did I bring those HD consoles up. Well to put it simply those guys are the only hope of slowing down the Wii. Yet I don't really see any games that can currently make potential buyers feel like the Wii is not worth their time. I mean really we are first year buyers, AKA the early adopters and their maybe more early adopters than you think! Which is a very strong position to have in some one's mind. If the US economic collapse in 2009...LOL does happen then the Wii may actually sell even better since it may be even cheaper by that time.

With DS sales being an almost predictor for the Wii sales I can not imagine why it wouldn't sell. hey but stranger things have happened.

Back