480p Capability now confirmed for Wii for an extra $30

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
According to an article over at IGN.com, a Nintendo spokesperson has confirmed 480p capability for Wii from launch.

It was revealed last month that the Wii will ship with composite cables for standard resolution televisions.

A spokesperson for the company told IGN Wii this morning that the Wii component cables would be available for purchase with the launch of the console in November. The cables will cost $29.99 and will only be available through online retail outlets, including Nintendo's store, Best Buy, Circuit City and EB Games.

Unfortunately Gamecube owners who bought component cables by a similar means will have to buy again as the GC cables are not compatible with Wii.

Source: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/740/740296p1.html

i think i'll be needing one of those. not sure, i think i need one for my hdtv. anyways, i think i can deal with the red, white, yellow cables or even s-video

i0n said:
According to an article over at IGN.com, a Nintendo spokesperson has confirmed 480p capability for Wii from launch.

It was revealed last month that the Wii will ship with composite cables for standard resolution televisions.

Unfortunately Gamecube owners who bought component cables by a similar means will have to buy again as the GC cables are not compatible with Wii.

Source: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/740/740296p1.html
Would the US one work over here in the UK?

Sovieto said:
What's 480p? Like for big TVs or like HD TVs or something?
480p is standard TV. However, comming from a component cable will give a better image than the included composite or even S-Video cable (the blacks are blacker and the colors brighter) All HDTV's that I know of are equiped with component jacks, and many standard TV's are as well. To know if yours does, look for three RCA jacks; blue, red, and green (not necesarily in that order).

registerednerd said:
480p is standard TV. However, comming from a component cable will give a better image than the included composite or even S-Video cable (the blacks are blacker and the colors brighter) All HDTV's that I know of are equiped with component jacks, and many standard TV's are as well. To know if yours does, look for three RCA jacks; blue, red, and green (not necesarily in that order).

Thank you for the xplanation!

registerednerd said:

Yah thanks~!!

registerednerd said:

that's not the right explenation though, that is dvd quality, it's EDTV SDTV is standard and is 480i, meaning it shows half the pixels on one screen and half on the other.

and btw this was confirmed like a month ago

Huh???? Won't any component cables work on anything with component hookups. All it requires it plugging it into the wii and into your tv. Couldn't people buy RCA, Monster, etc. component cables?? Why must people by the specific nintendo wii component cables??

What am i missing?

pizzaluvr said:
that's not the right explenation though, that is dvd quality, it's EDTV SDTV is standard and is 480i, meaning it shows half the pixels on one screen and half on the other.

and btw this was confirmed like a month ago

This was not confirmed a month ago. It was confirmed that the cables were being made, but not when they would be available. I for one am glad that they are going to be available at launch, too bad I have to order them online, hooray for progessive scan 16x9!

Back