Component Cable Question

*Chris*

Sep 6, 2006
Right...what is the component cable? Is it just the cable that sends the picture from your console to the TV?

Because...

Q: Wii component cables are not included in the box. But will they be available to buy when the system launches?

A: Yes. Although Nintendo has not yet divulged details on the price of the separately sold Wii component cables, the 480p compliant solution will be available at launch. Third party manufacturers are already advertising Wii component cables on various online videogame retail outlets. Meanwhile, just about every Wii game in development supports 480p and 16:9 widescreen modes, which makes a good case for Nintendo to ready the component cables for launch.

Whatever they are, they are not included in the box! Does this mean that I wont even be able to connect my Wii to the TV when I buy it?

Somebody please explain :sick:

Wii will come standard with a composite video cable. Component cables, which give a much higher quality picture than composite cables, will be sold seperatly.

Of course, if you don't have component inputs on you TV (they're red, blue, and green) then the standard composite are what you should use. Unless, of course, if you have s-video inputs then get an s-video cable, which is better than composite but not quite as good as component.

Hope that helped.

theyll have composite(red white and yellow) but they won't have component(red green and blue) or s-video

what does this mean to you... pretty much nothing, you won't see a very big improvement from 480i-480p, seeing as 480p isn't high def(its enhanced def)

pizzaluvr said:
theyll have composite(red white and yellow) but they won't have component(red green and blue) or s-video

what does this mean to you... pretty much nothing, you won't see a very big improvement from 480i-480p, seeing as 480p isn't high def(its enhanced def)
I'm not sure if you're just saying that Wii won't come standard with s-video and/or component cables or if you are saying there will be no s-video or component cables made for Wii? If it's the second, then that's not true.

They've said Wii will have composite, s-video, and component cables at launch, but only the composite cable will be in the box.

Now personally, I didn't see a major difference between s-video and component on my TV, which is an off brand 27" tube TV. However, the difference between composite and s-video was pretty obvious. Blacks were much blacker, colors much more vivid and pixilation much lower.

im saying it won't come with them, theyre still making them

do you know if there coming out with a vga cable like m$ did?

and you can't tell a major diference unless its a high definition tv(720p, 1080i, 1080p

pizzaluvr said:
im saying it won't come with them, theyre still making them

do you know if there coming out with a vga cable like m$ did?

and you can't tell a major diference unless its a high definition tv(720p, 1080i, 1080p
Ah, I get ya now.

As for the VGA cable, I actually asked Nintendo this very question and here's the answer I got back:

The specs I have for Wii indicate that it will have one multi-out port for component, composite, or S-video. If your computer monitor accepts one of these inputs, you should be able to use your computer monitor as the Wii display. Another option is to install a video capture card in your computer. However, the video capture cards often introduce delays with can negatively impact the playability of video games using that method. Most people will have the best results in using Wii with a TV display.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Mike Chandler

So, if your monitor has those inputs, you can connect Wii to it.

Component is at the top when it comes to video quality. Then s-video follows closley and then composite is the lowest.

The only reason s-video would be better than component on a TV would be faulty component inputs as far as I know.

pizzaluvr said:
Not even, 480p is standard def. The only improvement on enhanced def is that the screens have higher contrast, there is no difference in the signal at all.

pizzaluvr said:

saying you can't see a difference in 480i and 480p is like saying 480p and 720p are the exact same(yes I know that 720p is higher resolution), you see no difference since your eye from more than 1 inch away from the screen can't see pixels all that well(not true by the way), the video coming into the cable needs to be 480p also, you probably have not seen 480p, most likely only 480i on a 480p display which would make for de-interlacing, not anywhere near progressive scan. even the ps2 with the adaptor to make 480p is better than normal 480i, but again is the signal coming in is interlaced you do not see the improvement, I have seen the difference and to tell the truth it looks almost like a different resolution.

Back