Component Cable Recommendations

RJU690

WiiChat Member
Mar 31, 2007
Atlanta
I would like to purchase a component cable to enhance the graphical output of my Nintendo Wii, but I'm confused where to start. I know eBay has great prices for component cables and I'd like to get one there. Does the Nintendo Wii support HDMI and what are the effects of using a component cable above 480p? What is the best component cable available for the Nintendo Wii? Thank you for your responses in advance.

Psyclone is going to be the best cable. Psyclone cables are made for high-definition gaming. I got a set for my Wii and PS2 when I got my new TV and it is beautimous.

As for HDMI...no the Wii doesn't support HDMI. Component will support up to 1080i, HDMI up to 1080p, and the Wii only plays at 480p.

Jorge said:
Psyclone is going to be the best cable. Psyclone cables are made for high-definition gaming. I got a set for my Wii and PS2 when I got my new TV and it is beautimous.

As for HDMI...no the Wii doesn't support HDMI. Component will support up to 1080i, HDMI up to 1080p, and the Wii only plays at 480p.

I went to their website and I found the cable for the Nintendo Wii, but how do you purchase it? There appears to be no Add to Cart function or something like that.

Also, I've read that cables that exceed 480p when used with the Nintendo Wii appear to make the image look pixelated. Is this true?

RJU690 said:
I went to their website and I found the cable for the Nintendo Wii, but how do you purchase it? There appears to be no Add to Cart function or something like that.

Also, I've read that cables that exceed 480p when used with the Nintendo Wii appear to make the image look pixelated. Is this true?

It looks like meritline.com is out of stock on the cable at present. You can click the "Auto-Notify" button and the company will email you when they are back in stock. SD Cards and such are usually out of stock for a few days - - don't know how long it takes them to get more cables in.

Re: "...cables that exceed 480p..." cables don't control signals. The cable simply connects the electrical signals coming from the Wii's plug to the appropriate inputs on your display, LCD, whatever. ANY component cable is just making a straight wire connect from one point to another for each signal.

len_f said:
It looks like meritline.com is out of stock on the cable at present. You can click the "Auto-Notify" button and the company will email you when they are back in stock. SD Cards and such are usually out of stock for a few days - - don't know how long it takes them to get more cables in.

Re: "...cables that exceed 480p..." cables don't control signals. The cable simply connects the electrical signals coming from the Wii's plug to the appropriate inputs on your display, LCD, whatever. ANY component cable is just making a straight wire connect from one point to another for each signal.

Sorry, I was referring to cables from Psyclone from a previous post. This is the cable I'm interested in: http://www.psyclonecables.com/products/index.asp?id=1034. But, like meritline.com, there also appears to be no Add to Cart function for this and all of their products!

RJU690 said:

I bought mine from Best Buy

DOH! Not really though. I was in one of those "I want it now" moods, so not having to wait 5-10 days was worth the $10.

What's funny is the same day I ordered a HDMI-DVI cable for my TV from meritline ($8.99 +4s/h). Only they didn't have a component cable for the Wii at the time, only composite.

gamechaser001 said:
Sorry, but you just threw away $10, I got mine for $9.99 at meritline, that is before they raised their price by a dollar

RJU690 said:

The Wii can't exceed 480p, when using a componet cable ans using the progressive scan option, it will look pixelated, thatis just because the games aren't meant to be displayed in EDTV, it being that Nintendo cares more about gameplay than grapics

gamechaser001 said:
The Wii can't exceed 480p, when using a componet cable ans using the progressive scan option, it will look pixelated, thatis just because the games aren't meant to be displayed in EDTV, it being that Nintendo cares more about gameplay than grapics

Huh, not on my set up. Don't know if it's the cable some people got, cause I do remember people talking about that problem especially within Zelda.

But, I have Zelda and it's crystal clear on my Mitsu WS-55313 through the component cable I bought.

FarCry, Blazing Angels and Tiger Woods look absolutely incredible. They were sort of fuzzy on the factory composite cable.

gamechaser001 said:

What is the progressive scan option? You're saying it has to be turned off so the image won't look pixelated?

Can someone tell me if this cable http://www.psyclonecables.com/products/index.asp?id=1034
is at least 480p and if it has the progressive scan option? (I know these are really noobish questions but we all have to start somewhere!)

RJU690 said:
What is the progressive scan option? You're saying it has to be turned off so the image won't look pixelated?

Can someone tell me if this cable http://www.psyclonecables.com/products/index.asp?id=1034
is at least 480p and if it has the progressive scan option? (I know these are really noobish questions but we all have to start somewhere!)
:rolleyes: progressive scan is when all the pixels are on at the same time, the average television is interlaced, meaning the top row comes in before the bottom row, for example

1------------------------------
3------------------------------

1------------------------------
2------------------------------
3------------------------------
4------------------------------

2------------------------------
4------------------------------

-=a used pixel

That is why if you see somebody wearing a striped shirt on television, you get weird lines on the screen, it's called moire (<spelling)

progressive scan on the other hand is like part 2 only

if you look at the HD types, that's what the letter stands for, for example 1080i 1080 rows of resolution (either vertical or horizontal, not sure) and it is an interlaced image

1080p, 1080 rows of resolution, a progressive scan image

It matters what game you are playing, but some games, mostly the older ones, the original console plugged in using the coax input (cable input), and those consoles did not support HD or ED, so the games aren't coded for high end graphics, when you turn on progressive scan, the video quality improves, showing the low end graphics of the game, because originally you wouldn't see the pixelation, there was no point of making an HD/ED game of there aren't any HD/ED televisions

Nintendo cares about coming out with better gameplay (for example the Wiimote) than they do about making high definition gaming, XBOX and playstation on the other hand, they care more about graphics, so they spend more time on their games improving the HD grapics that the gameplay lacks, for example, all MS did to the xbox 360 controller was make it wireless and move the black/white buttons to above the triggers, no new remote control looking be-in-the-action game console controller like Nintendo, so the public has to choose, grapics or gameplay?

Back