5th Generation of Pokemon - New Starter Pokemon Suggestions

Jeff25

Brawl Anyone?
Nov 16, 2007
Hey fellow Pokemon fans,

I have always been woundering ever since the release of Diamond and Pearl, if Nintendo and the Pokemon Company are thinking about releasing a 5th Generation of Pokemon?

1st was Kanto (Red/Blue/Yellow)
2nd was Johto (Gold/Silver/Crystal)
3rd was Hoenn (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)
and now Sinnoh (Diamond/Pearl)

If I were in charge on creating a 5th Generation of new Starter Pokemon, I would suggest they have a Kangaroo Pokemon, a Snake Pokemon, and a Piranha Pokemon.

The Grass Starter: Leafaroo Pronounced "leaf" "ah" "roo"
Leafaroo could be the 5th Grass starter, and could evolve into Kangrass who could be part Grass/Fighting type (like Breloom). It's last form could be Treesupial ("Marsupial" but with "Tree" in the beginning). For those of you who don't know what Marsupials are, they're animals who carry their young in a pouch (Like Kangaskhan), except with Treesupial, it could carry a small plant or shrub in it's pouch, and have boxing gloves on it's hands. It could also bounce off with it's tail and use Hi Jump Kick or another Fighting type kicking move.

Water Starter: Waveranha Pronounced "wave" "ron" "ah"
Waveranha would be the Water starter who's a small piranha fish (like Carvanha). He could evolve into a small shark-like Pokemon called Piranice (combination of the words, "piranha" and "ice"), who could be part Water/Ice. The final form could be a giant Shark Pokemon who's also part Ice type, and would be able to learn powerful Ice moves like Blizzard, along with Water moves like Hydro Pump. It's name would be Shivshark, a combo of "shiver" & "shark".

Fire Starter: Hisskorch Pronounced "hiss" "scorch"
Hisskorch could be a small, firey snake-like Pokemon who looks similar to Ekans. Instead of being a Poison type like many snake Pokemon, Hisskorch would be a Fire type. It would evolve into Hisshot(the words "hiss" & hot" combined), who could gain the Ground type to make it a Fire/Ground type starter, and could learn moves like Dig, and Flame Wheel. It's last stage could be Cobroil (combination of the words "Cobra" and "Boil"). Cobroil would also be part Ground, and would look similar to Arbok except for the Poison type. He could have a flat neck area like Arbok, and on it he could have a giant flame emblem or another firey symbol on it.

Anyone else have any suggestions as to new Starters for a possible 5th Generation of Pokemon?

If you have trouble thinking up good new starter Pokemon, I have a suggestion for a good Water starter to get your gears turning for creativeness...how about a Duck Pokemon as a new Water starter...something like Psyduck.

Last edited:
lol i like the name hisskorch. im not too good at creating pkmn ideas. ill just think of a fire starter name since fire is my fave starter type........ turtava lol. turtle, lava, tortava lol.

Plazmis3 said:
lol i like the name hisskorch. im not too good at creating pkmn ideas. ill just think of a fire starter name since fire is my fave starter type........ turtava lol. turtle, lava, tortava lol.

Nice idea for a fire type name Plaz...Thats all it takes is a bit of creative thought...I dont have much else to do, so I sometimes spend time thinking up names and move sets for new pokemon...I even have Pictures drawn on paper of the starter pokemon I suggested earlier along with their 2nd and 3rd stages:p, thats how much time and creative thinking I have lol:p

Jeff25 said:
Nice idea for a fire type name Plaz...Thats all it takes is a bit of creative thought...I dont have much else to do, so I sometimes spend time thinking up names and move sets for new pokemon...I even have Pictures drawn on paper of the starter pokemon I suggested earlier along with their 2nd and 3rd stages:p, thats how much time and creative thinking I have lol:p

lol you draw your thoughts out on pkmn. i used to draw pkmn and was actually good. keep thinking jeff!

JAKE196 said:
go second generation! Wohoooooo! :cornut:

I think they should end pokemon unless they come out with something cool like an MMO.

I doubt if Nintendo/Pokemon Company will finish Pokemon's career just yet...with the ever growing Populations, and more and more younger children growing up with the new generations, there's bound to be a continuous craze about them.

Unlike me, I was about 11 years old when the first gen. was introduced for the first time. I know all the generations from the 1st to the last:D lol

Let me add a few pennies here, to remind people what a starter poke looks like.

1) Must have 525 , 530, 534/535 total base stats.
The grass type has a 525, Water a 530, and fire 534. While this is not true for all the pokes (their are a few exceptions here and their, but it is the general trend). The grass likely has the lowest total stat set likely because of the early game typing advantage, and fire the highest of game typing disadvantage.

2) The ability on ANY starter poke is Overgrow, Torrent, and Blaze.
This is to keep the starter pokes slightly bland and no greater variation in abilities.

3) Dual typeing is fairly recomended but not nessary. Of the non Johto, (all the Johto starters are mono typed) 1/3rd are not dual typed.

Rember that the stat distributions are everything. Think of Charazard V. Monferno. Monferno beats the zard, hands down due to strong speedy stats. Now think of Swampert and Blastoise. Blastoise tryed to be middle of the road on everything, and become nothing. Swampert droped its speed for better defences, and now its a defensive jugganaught (*****)

Finely, with the rise of online battleing, and online battleing comunities (to say, such as this one even)...pokemon...now..is sorta an mmo...

About the abilities of Pokemon...I don't know why they never made abilities for the other types aswell.

Like, the game has Blaze, Torrent, Overgrow, and Swarm which power up Fire, Water, Grass, and Bug moves when a Pokemon's weak, but why haven't they come up with an ability to say power up Psychic moves or Flying moves.
There aren't any abilities that have the same affect as the abilities mentioned before for the other types of Pokemon...just those four for Fire, Grass, Water and Bug moves.

For example, a good ability for Ice type Pokemon to have that boosts Ice moves when they're weak could be called "Freezer". It would have the same affect that Blaze or those other abilities that boost elemental attacks, except for Ice moves.

About the info on the Base Stats and whatnot, I'd say most Pokemon players aren't even familiar with Base Stats, or Natures and other small things like that. I personally dont even take notice to them when I train my Pokemon. I do know, however, that different Natures can change a Pokemon's Stats.
For Example, two Rapidash could have the exact same moves, and abilities, but depending on their nature, their Stats may differ slightly.

If I find a Protien or an Iron item in the field I just use it on one of my six main Pokemon in my Party that has the lowest number of that stat. For example, if I were raising an Infernape and an Empoleon, and I found Carbos, I would use it on Empoleon, since he has lower speed stats than Infernape.
I'm not like some people out there who base their entire team of Pokemon on Stats and Natures and Abilities:p, I'm not really interested in Stats...I mainly go for size and looks when I'm catching Pokemon :D.

But thanks for the info on Base Stats, Strype McClaine. I'm sure Newbie Pokemon players will take that info to heart! Thanks man:).

I'm probably getting off topic about possible 5th Gen. Starter Pokemon though:p...

Last edited:
Jeff25 said:
About the abilities of Pokemon...I don't know why they never made abilities for the other types aswell.

Like, the game has Blaze, Torrent, Overgrow, and Swarm which power up Fire, Water, Grass, and Bug moves when a Pokemon's weak, but why haven't they come up with an ability to say power up Psychic moves or Flying moves.
There aren't any abilities that have the same affect as the abilities mentioned before for the other types of Pokemon...just those four for Fire, Grass, Water and Bug moves.

For example, a good ability for Ice type Pokemon to have that boosts Ice moves when they're weak could be called "Freezer". It would have the same affect that Blaze or those other abilities that boost elemental attacks, except for Ice moves.

About the info on the Base Stats and whatnot, I'd say most Pokemon players aren't even familiar with Base Stats, or Natures and other small things like that. I personally dont even take notice to them when I train my Pokemon. I do know, however, that different Natures can change a Pokemon's Stats.
For Example, two Rapidash could have the exact same moves, and abilities, but depending on their nature, their Stats may differ slightly.

If I find a Protien or an Iron item in the field I just use it on one of my six main Pokemon in my Party that has the lowest number of that stat. For example, if I were raising an Infernape and an Empoleon, and I found Carbos, I would use it on Empoleon, since he has lower speed stats than Infernape.
I'm not like some people out there who base their entire team of Pokemon on Stats and Natures and Abilities:p, I'm not really interested in Stats...I mainly go for size and looks when I'm catching Pokemon :D.

But thanks for the info on Base Stats, Strype McClaine. I'm sure Newbie Pokemon players will take that info to heart! Thanks man:).

I'm probably getting off topic about possible 5th Gen. Starter Pokemon though:p...
O la la, that's where your heavily wrong! There are an enormous amount of players that are aware of natures and definitely base stats and such. It's just it got outdated here and they migrated. But yeah, some of the users here on Wiichat are well versed in the area's of properly training, nature breeding and such. ^.^

Jeff25 said:

The power up ability is frankly, quite piss poor, and very few pokes can even use it to some extent. Why don't other types have the ability? Easy, their are better abilities to be had, and many of them are type specific. Sure, their might not be a psychic boost ability, but instead, they have synchronize. which, to their credit, is better.

I hate to say, in wiichat, their are a few semi-serious battlers (myself included), and I can't with good conscious say "just give a vitamin" to the weakest stat the poke has, or natures don't matter that much. Now, am I saying "make sure every poke you have has good IV's"...no...I'm saying you start becoming a better player, in general, when you pay attention to Natures and EV's.

A Infernape, as you brought up, is a fast, good attacks (both special and physical) stats. The nature should be in favor of either one of the attack stats or the speed, and by no means be a speed hindering nature. It's not a lot, but that 10%, when dealing with something that has a STRONG stat to begin with, makes it alot stronger. For example, Garchomp has a base attack stat of 130, with an attack boosting nature, its a base of 143, that raises the attack about eh 40-50 some odd points. A verry big differance.

I bring up base stats, mainly because its important when you concider that pokemon's role. In 4th gen, Torterra has a good physical defense and a good physical attack, a poor special A, and special d. You can assume by this, that torterra is a support/physical wall poke. He is to take a good physical hit, and grit through it. In the same token Monferno is fast and strong, but takes hits like a wet paper bag, and Empolion, is built more like a special wall.
As much as gen4 pokemon plays up the rock-paper-scizor's of type matching, it just is as much stat matching. Special and physical. And Stabb attacks V. Unstabbed SE attacks and type coverage.

One of the tragically almost awsome's of the fourth gen, I think is Sceptile, while he has the stats of a good strong sweeper (base speed 120 :smilewinkgrin: , man thats good, and then the good attacking stats 85 physical and wow 105 special), looking at that you would think, "Humn, I would make that a sweeper, put all the training into its speed and special attack, and then put a decent physical move on it for its type coverage" which if everything else remained the same, would be great. However, looking at it's move pool, it's special moves, are all but lacking, and its physical moves are REAAAL STRONG...so then what do you do?

Things like this MUST be taken into consideration when making ANY poke. If Sceptile had the better move pool, it would have been stronger, however Swampert won, the stats, the move pool, and actually being able to use it's ability.

OK,a Water Squid Starter,a Skeleten crab Jack o lanturn guy,and a Grass Starter that looks kinda like a Flying Thwomp that bumps things...
Water
Squikala-Squid Pokemon-a Mini Squid with a Sea Shell hat-Water-Best Stat is Speed-Worst is Special Attack
Tentifan-Tenticle Pokemon-Has HUGE Tenticles and in a Seashell-Water-Best Stat is Defence-Worst is Specal Attack
Cethalasquid-Giant Squid Pokemon-A Giant Squid with Spiky Suckers,horns,and Blue tipped tenticles-has beak that can breath ice-Water Dragon-Sig Move-Tentacle Blast-Fun Fact-Cethala comes from the Squid and Octopus Family called Cethalapoda.There are more members than just Squids and Octopuses in the Family-Best Stat is Speed and Attack-Worst is ...well,Defence is a bit worse than the others

Grass
Bumbillbee-Bumper Pokemon-a Square tiny Green Bee like Pokemon-Grass-Bumbillbee is a pun on Bump and bee-Best Stat is Speed-Worst is Specel.Attack
Thumpath-Bumper Pokemon-A big Green Pokemon with Spikes and more wings-Grass Rock-Best Stat is Speed-Worst is Special Atack
Smashtrek-Destruction Pokemon-still has wings,huge and green,Arms and Legs with MANY Spikes on body-Grass Rock-Sig Move is Smashing Finish-Fun Fact-Body is similar to Regice's.....-Beat Stats are attack and Speed.Speed is Suprizingly Good-Worst is Special attack

Fire
Pumpbones-Pumpkin Pokemon-A Jack o lantern that is set Ablaze-can see bones under it-Fire Grass-First Fire and Grass Type I think-Best Stat is Special Attack-Worst is Attack
Cartomaroe-Bone Pokemon-A Jack o lantern with Bones for legs-arms are Claw bones-on fire-Fire Ground-Best Stat is special Attack-worst is Speed
Skelifire- Bone Crab Pokemon-a Skeliten Crab with a Blazing Jack o lantern Shell-green roots under Pumpkin lanturn-Fire Ground-best at Defense and Special Defence-Worst at Speed-Sig move is Fire Root

Last edited:
Strype McClaine said:
The power up ability is frankly, quite piss poor, and very few pokes can even use it to some extent. Why don't other types have the ability? Easy, their are better abilities to be had, and many of them are type specific. Sure, their might not be a psychic boost ability, but instead, they have synchronize. which, to their credit, is better.

I hate to say, in wiichat, their are a few semi-serious battlers (myself included), and I can't with good conscious say "just give a vitamin" to the weakest stat the poke has, or natures don't matter that much. Now, am I saying "make sure every poke you have has good IV's"...no...I'm saying you start becoming a better player, in general, when you pay attention to Natures and EV's.

A Infernape, as you brought up, is a fast, good attacks (both special and physical) stats. The nature should be in favor of either one of the attack stats or the speed, and by no means be a speed hindering nature. It's not a lot, but that 10%, when dealing with something that has a STRONG stat to begin with, makes it alot stronger. For example, Garchomp has a base attack stat of 130, with an attack boosting nature, its a base of 143, that raises the attack about eh 40-50 some odd points. A verry big differance.

I bring up base stats, mainly because its important when you concider that pokemon's role. In 4th gen, Torterra has a good physical defense and a good physical attack, a poor special A, and special d. You can assume by this, that torterra is a support/physical wall poke. He is to take a good physical hit, and grit through it. In the same token Monferno is fast and strong, but takes hits like a wet paper bag, and Empolion, is built more like a special wall.
As much as gen4 pokemon plays up the rock-paper-scizor's of type matching, it just is as much stat matching. Special and physical. And Stabb attacks V. Unstabbed SE attacks and type coverage.

One of the tragically almost awsome's of the fourth gen, I think is Sceptile, while he has the stats of a good strong sweeper (base speed 120 :smilewinkgrin: , man thats good, and then the good attacking stats 85 physical and wow 105 special), looking at that you would think, "Humn, I would make that a sweeper, put all the training into its speed and special attack, and then put a decent physical move on it for its type coverage" which if everything else remained the same, would be great. However, looking at it's move pool, it's special moves, are all but lacking, and its physical moves are REAAAL STRONG...so then what do you do?

Things like this MUST be taken into consideration when making ANY poke. If Sceptile had the better move pool, it would have been stronger, however Swampert won, the stats, the move pool, and actually being able to use it's ability.

Wow:yikes:, I never put much thought into Stats and Natures when I was raising my Pokemon teams...EVER!
I never realized how much of an impact Base Stats and other small things like Natures have on a Pokemon's potential...
I guess I must've either overlooked those advantages, or was just ignorant and never heeded them.

Anyway, it seems you know a **** load of things on Base Stats and other small things that can change a Pokemon's outcome in a battle.
You'll have to teach me some of this stuff later:p. I'd like to learn more about how to match up Stats and natures with moves and abilities.
I'll have to add you to my Network on my Profile lol:p.

Nice to know there's always something new to learn. I thought I knew a damn lot about the Pokemon games...guess I missed Stat advantages and boosts:p.

Nick Atack said:
Water
Squikala-Squid Pokemon-a Mini Squid
Tentifan-Tenticle Pokemon-Has HUGE Tenticles and in a Seashell
Cethalasquid-Giant Squid Pokemon-A Giant Squid

Grass
Bumbillbee-Bumper Pokemon
Thumpath-Bumper Pokemon
Smashtrek-Destruction Pokemon

Fire
Pumpbones-Jack o lantern Pokemon
Cartomaroe-Bone Pokemon
Skelifire-Fire Bone Pokemon

Nice name ideas for new Starters Nick Atack!:thumbsup: I really like the Squid Pokemon idea;). Perhaps you could think about if they'd have an aditional type like Water/Poison, or Water/Bug.

I have more names for possible starters, but I'll leave you and other fans in suspence heheh:p.

Last edited:
ATTENTION READERS OF THIS THREAD:

If you have any ideas on new Starters for a 5th generation of Pokemon, and you have a good idea on what they'd look like too, feel free to upload a picture or drawing of them along with your ideas for their names!

I have drawings of the first 3 starter suggestions I made at the beginning of this thread. I'm hoping to somehow, get them from pencil drawings on paper, to my computer so I can show you what they'd look like.

I, myself think they look excellent and could be pretty good starters if there were a 5th gen.
If I manage to get my drawings on a future post, you can check'em out and see what you think:)!

Jeff25 said:
ATTENTION READERS OF THIS THREAD:

If you have any ideas on new Starters for a 5th generation of Pokemon, and you have a good idea on what they'd look like too, feel free to upload a picture or drawing of them along with your ideas for their names!

I have drawings of the first 3 starter suggestions I made at the beginning of this thread. I'm hoping to somehow, get them from pencil drawings on paper, to my computer so I can show you what they'd look like.

I, myself think they look excellent and could be pretty good starters if there were a 5th gen.
If I manage to get my drawings on a future post, you can check'em out and see what you think:)!
Well,I once had a Picture of Bumbilbee and his evolutions,and I still have a Picture of Cethalasquid.But in my Pic he has wings and breaths fire...I can change that.Oh,and Cethalasquid I previosly called Dreeple.
And heres my updated Pokemon List:
OK,a Water Squid Starter,a Skeleten crab Jack o lanturn guy,and a Grass Starter that looks kinda like a Flying Thwomp that bumps things...

Water
Squikala-Squid Pokemon-a Mini Squid with a Sea Shell hat-Water-Best Stat is Speed-Worst is Special Attack
Tentifan-Tenticle Pokemon-Has HUGE Tenticles and in a Seashell-Water-Best Stat is Defence-Worst is Specal Attack
Cethalasquid-Giant Squid Pokemon-A Giant Squid with Spiky Suckers,horns,and Blue tipped tenticles-has beak that can breath ice-Water Dragon-Sig Move-Tentacle Blast-Fun Fact-Cethala comes from the Squid and Octopus Family called Cethalapoda.There are more members than just Squids and Octopuses in the Family-Best Stat is Speed and Attack-Worst is ...well,Defence is a bit worse than the others

Grass
Bumbillbee-Bumper Pokemon-a Square tiny Green Bee like Pokemon-Grass-Bumbillbee is a pun on Bump and bee-Best Stat is Speed-Worst is Specel.Attack
Thumpath-Bumper Pokemon-A big Green Pokemon with Spikes and more wings-Grass Rock-Best Stat is Speed-Worst is Special Atack
Smashtrek-Destruction Pokemon-still has wings,huge and green,Arms and Legs with MANY Spikes on body-Grass Rock-Sig Move is Smashing Finish-Fun Fact-Body is similar to Regice's.....-Beat Stats are attack and Speed.Speed is Suprizingly Good-Worst is Special attack

Fire
Pumpbones-Pumpkin Pokemon-A Jack o lantern that is set Ablaze-can see bones under it-Fire Grass-First Fire and Grass Type I think-Best Stat is Special Attack-Worst is Attack
Cartomaroe-Bone Pokemon-A Jack o lantern with Bones for legs-arms are Claw bones-on fire-Fire Ground-Best Stat is special Attack-worst is Speed
Skelifire- Bone Crab Pokemon-a Skeliten Crab with a Blazing Jack o lantern Shell-green roots under Pumpkin lanturn-Fire Ground-best at Defense and Special Defence-Worst at Speed-Sig move is Fire Root

Last edited:
Here's some more ideas I have that I didnt mention before:

Fire Starter:
Elephire - Pronounced "Ele" "fire" (Elephant + Fire)
Small Elephant PKMN
Height: 2'00" Weight: 26 lbs
Evolves: Lv. 18
Type(s):[/I] Fire
\/
Evolves to...
\/
Elephlare - Pronounced "Ele" "Flare" (Elephant + Flare)
Lava Elephant PKMN
Height: 3"07" Weight: 79 lbs
Evolves: Lv. 36
Type(s): Fire/Ground
\/
Evolves to...
\/
Magmammoth - Pronounced "Mag" "Mam" "Oth" (Magma + Mammoth)
Magma Elephant PKMN
Height: 7'07" Weight: 363 lbs
Type(s): Fire/Ground
Signature Move: Magma Burst (Fire move) (Power: 150, Acc.: 70)
Description: An enormous mammoth with large tusks. The tips of the Tusks blaze with fire, and it's fur coat is slightly red/orange-like, which represents its Fire type.
Stats (Highest to Lowest): HP, Attack, Defence, Sp. Def., Sp. Attk., Speed

Grass Starter:
Churplant - Pronounced "Churr" "Plant" (Churp + Plant)
Tiny Tree Bird PKMN
Height: 1'04" Weight: 10 lbs
Evolves: Lv. 14
Type(s): Grass/Flying
\/
Evolves to...
\/
Soaroot - Pronounced "Sore" "Root" (Soar + Root)
Soaring Hawk PKMN
Height: 3'00" Weight: 54 lbs
Evolves: Lv. 36
\/
Evolves to...
\/
Vulcherroot - Pronounced "Vul" "Cher" "Root" (Vulcher + Root)
Tallon Vulcher PKMN
Height: 5'11" Weight: 130 lbs
Signature Move: Rumble Root (Grass move) (Power: 120, Acc.: 90)
Description: A speedy vulcher, with sharp tallons. Its apperance is similar to a Fearow, but it's feathers are a beautiful green-like color, and on it's head appears to be a small bush, unlike the red mo-hawk-like hair doo on a Fearow's head. It stares down enemies with its piercing eyes.
Stats (Highest to Lowest): Speed, Attack, Sp. Attk., HP, Sp. Def., Defense

I know I have a Water type Starter Idea to go with these two, but I couldn't remember what it was while I was posting this...so I'll have to post it later once I remember or come up with a new one.

Last edited:
Back