Actually Owned A TurboGrafX ?

wow.. yea a lot of lost stuff there...
everyone remembers nes and super nes, like even 10 year old kids know em but when u ask anyone under the age of what.. ?... 17? they have no idea what turbografx was. Pitty. Hey, this sounds weird but.. anyone ever seen a museum or collection exhibited with all the old systems n history of video games? seems like it'd be interesting.

I had a TG-16, R-Type was THE BEST!! Kid NIKKI was great too... damn I had the Game Gear AND the first gameboy, I remember my teacher confiscating BOTH from me in 2nd grade, lol.

Last edited:
A lot of people are saying that the TurboGrafx console was good, and there were some great games out for it like Bonk's Adventure. So why wasn't the console a great success?

The TG16 and its successors in the USA died off due to poor marketing.

The TG16 actually rocked Japan and the last game from a major publisher came out in 1997.

I owned a TG16, and then later a Turbo Duo shipped directly to me from NEC on release date.

I've had just about every system you can think of short of 3DO, Philips CD-i, and Pioneer LaserActive system, and Neo Geo..

..and the TG16/Duo is still my all time favorite system.

There is mad great games for it, particularly at the time.

Alien Crush.
Devils Crush.
Gates of Thunder.
Lords of Thunder.
Bomberman 9x.
Splatter House.
Y's Book 1&2.
Cosmic Fantasy 2.
Galaga '90.

Those are just some of the rocking games for it that I can think right off the top of my head.

Alien Crush, personally is my all time favorite video pinball game aside from Pinball Fantasies. But Alien Crush has longer play value from the mini games within the game.

Galaga '90 is great. Galaga is Galaga.

Y`s Book 1&2, IMHO one of the best games of all time which was not technologically possible on any other system when it was released, 8-bit CPU or otherwise.

Gates of Thunder is one of the best shooter games that there is, and possibly has the best sound track of any video game, ever.

The graphics of Lords of Thunder is done so well it doesn't quite look 16-bit, it's breath taking (and good gameplay).

Splatter House... acting like a Jason type character but pwning demons is just neat.

Cosmic Fantasy 2, one of my favorite RPG's. (woah yea TG16 had RPG's...)

I don't actually like Devils Crush very much but there are so many people who are maniac about that game I felt it worth while to include in my short list.

If you get one of the VC games for your Wii be sure to pick up Alien Crush if you like pinball at all. Unless you were born dead you will have many hours of enjoyment out of it.

I remember a second iteration of the system coming out too. I remember seeing at an EB when i was little or something, then never seen/heard of it again.

Ah just did some wikipedia searching, there was a CED-ROM attachment version of it, first one in North America apparently. See how ahead of it's time this bad boy was? Too bad though.

XHashmeerX said:
Ah just did some wikipedia searching, there was a CED-ROM attachment version of it, first one in North America apparently. See how ahead of it's time this bad boy was? Too bad though.

Yar...

There was a CD-ROM attatchment, came out a bit before the Sega CD ever materialized.

Though it was quite expencive, $400 USD.

Then came the Turbo Duo that replaced it, a one-unit combination game system for HuCards (Turbo Chips) and as well played SCD's (SuperCD's).

Turbo Duo was $300.

In Japan to combat the SNES NEC released the Super Grafx, which had better specifications and more special effects possible.

Turned out the old reliable PC Engine (TG16 in Japan) was more than capable of holding ground against the SNES, so discontinued the Super Grafx.

Back