Black lines

ewsrocks

WiiChat Member
Aug 31, 2006
When I am in my wii menu, there seem to be vertical black lines all down the screen. Once I get into a game they go away, but it still bothers me. I've had my wii since January and this hasn't happened until recently. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah I have this problem. It got progressively worse this month when the black lines started showing in games. They don't always show.. mostly whenever its dark or dusk is flying around in the game..

Haven't got mine fixed yet because doesn't really effect gameplay at all and because im just generally lazy>__<.. probably will before SSBB though

From what I've read, this problem is caused by overheating. Nintendo will fix this problem too IIRC.

Yeah, I realize now that I left my wii in I guess a small place and could have overheated from leaving it on wiiconnect24 everyday. This problem won't work itself out from leaving it in the open will it? Also, if I send it to Nintendo for repair/replacement, will i lose my VC games?

Also, if I leave it out in the open, will it still get worse? Or stay the same?

ewsrocks said:
Yeah, I realize now that I left my wii in I guess a small place and could have overheated from leaving it on wiiconnect24 everyday. This problem won't work itself out from leaving it in the open will it? Also, if I send it to Nintendo for repair/replacement, will i lose my VC games?

No. When it got too hot, it damaged a component inside the Wii, most likely the GPU. Leaving it in the open won't fix a thing.

Update?

Usually you will need to update your wii, Version 3.0 or 3.1 (iforgot) has some of these side effects. The last wii update came on this thursday, be sure to update it along with the internet channel and the everyone votes channel.

ewsrocks said:

WiiConnect 24 barely draws any power or makes heat, my wii is sittin an a cabinet with minimal cooling and seems to be doing just fine. I still think you need to update your wii before you consider repair or replace. Yet, before repairing or replacing, you should probably all nintendo (they have their number on their customer support page) and see what they can do for you.

No. When it got too hot, it damaged a component inside the Wii, most likely the GPU. Leaving it in the open won't fix a thing.

yeah thats right.. i turned off wiiconnect so it wouldnt damage it anymore but the lines are still there so.. need to go repair it

JerryC said:
yeah thats right.. i turned off wiiconnect so it wouldnt damage it anymore but the lines are still there so.. need to go repair it
Yeah that's what you should do. BTW after reading this thread I bought a lighted cooling stand from Gamestop. I was afraid of my Wii suffering the same fate.

masonb15 said:
Yeah that's what you should do. BTW after reading this thread I bought a lighted cooling stand from Gamestop. I was afraid of my Wii suffering the same fate.

I bought a 1500-watt quartz heater and pointed it right at our Wii, just to tempt fate.

well, my wii has been getting slower when i bought VC games, doesnt really bother me (only slow to start up gameplay and everything else is fine)

Back