Bond shooter on Virtual Console still a possibility

it's just a matter of did nintendo/rare's agreement with the movie studio include the right to sell the game in perpetuity, meaning activision has the right to make new games but nintendo is still free to sell their old one.

*and* does nintendo or rare end up with ownership of the title. if it's rare, will they license it (why not, honestly? even if you drop it on 360w/online it's still the option to sell more games). if it's nintendo, then no biggie. if it's some sort of dual ownership, in the end rare will have to get on board or risk a court battle. or nintendo just won't give it up.

you can count on it costing at least 1500 wii points, it is going to definitely *have* to include bigger payouts to anyone who owns the rights. especially when the demand for it is this high.

Depends. If they are owned and seperate then it likely won't matter, if they absorbed them into their own inhouse staff, then it gets even more confusing.

then again, rare may have developed the game on contract and not even own sketches they did on a paid coffee break. it all depends on the deals that were struck back in 97.

Add this to the fact that whether or not nintendo owns the game, they do not own the characters and the people who do have licensed them to activision.

Even if Activision has the right to current games, they may not be able to stop something already created under a previous license from being distributed. Rights between developers, third party and in house are confusing ENOUGH with out adding in a movie studio. not to mention the license has been since granted to even another company. it may end up that activision has a say in this.

For nintendo to make it viable, assuming everyone agrees, they'll likely have to forgo their cut of sales on it because they're going to be paying out the ass to make MS, Rare, Activision and Sony Pictures happy. I think it's Sony pictures at least.

I would have thought that Rare would have jumped at the chance to see this game come to the virtual console, considering that it will still be sold - i.e. They would still get money from it. As long as it didn't effect sales for the xbox 360, they should theoretically be able to. Also, I think everyone involved would be getting some money from it, and considering it's pretty much a complete game as it is (Though we'd love to see a few extras on top), it's not like development cost will exceed profits.

Still, if Goldeneye came to virtual console, then I expect it would open up a door for others like Perfect Dark (Just to make up for Perfect Dark Zero), Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day etc...

...Of course, that's if they were intelligent enough to realise that the Wii and 360 weren't strictly speaking competing on the same level (today it's commonplace to find two consoles from the same generation in peoples homes, and that the people whod buy a 360 would do so regardless of getting a Wii).

But then, that's just the way I look at it...

I think it'll end up most people have a Wii and either PS3 or 360, considering PS3 and 360 will have an almost identical line up of games, minus the few exclusives.

jus. said:
it's just a matter of did nintendo/rare's agreement with the movie studio include the right to sell the game in perpetuity, meaning activision has the right to make new games but nintendo is still free to sell their old one.

*and* does nintendo or rare end up with ownership of the title. if it's rare, will they license it (why not, honestly? even if you drop it on 360w/online it's still the option to sell more games). if it's nintendo, then no biggie. if it's some sort of dual ownership, in the end rare will have to get on board or risk a court battle. or nintendo just won't give it up.

you can count on it costing at least 1500 wii points, it is going to definitely *have* to include bigger payouts to anyone who owns the rights. especially when the demand for it is this high.
OK, it was a great N64 game and all, but I don't think they'll go to court over it. Compared to todays FPS's its just not that great anymore. none the less, its a good title that will be well appreciated on the VC.

the way all these people hate nintendo for not having released it makes me think it'd sell a ton.

I think its a bit of a dissapointment that (in my opinion) none of the gamecube games were as good as goldeneye. Ok, sure, the graphics were obviously better but the overall gameplay and multiplayer weren't as good. Perhaps we can hope for a better James Bond game (or other) for wii instead. No doubt there will be more bond games in the near future, and if they have online multiplayer and- i hope- downloadable contect? (new arenas, guns, characters etc) then it may pick up good enough reviews for me to consider buying it. I rented a few of the 'cube ones and usually completed them during the weekend- not worth the money for buying it i dont think.
To be honest im more conserned about Perfect Dark than Goldeneye- as wha witht he added cost of the expansion pak i never bought it for the N64. My cousin did though, and i addored the multiplayer. If this was downloadable (and if goldeneye could, im sure this would) i would pick it up there and then!

Back