Bought a used Wii - have two questions

shifuimam

WiiChat Member
Jun 16, 2007
I finally found someone in another forum who was willing to sell his Wii to me. It came with Super Paper Mario, WiiPlay, and Super Mario World downloaded from the Wii store.

I'd like to put everything back to factory settings and start fresh, or at the very least erase the play histories from the previous owner. From what I have read online, the only way to kill off the play history notes on the Wii message board is to completely format the Wii...but then I'd lose any downloaded channels, including Super Mario World.

Sooo if I were to format, would the Wii store recognize my Wii's serial and allow me to re-download SMW, or would I have to buy more points and pay for it again?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in my searches here, so...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
And it should be no issue to copy over all my saved game data to an SD card to back it up, correct?

I just want to make sure before I format the thing - if I find out something bad after formatting it, I'm screwed... :)

who cares about the play history? and to erase saved games go to wii setting then to memory then just erase all the game data

Call me OCD about it, I guess.

Anyhow, I want to keep my saved games and restore them to a formatted Wii...not delete them. I deleted his saved data the day I got the thing; I have saved game data from Paper Mario that I don't want to lose.

Technically, the license to keep Super Mario World belongs only to the original purchaser. As far as the license is concerned, you have no rights to that game.

So, reformat it if you wish. Just do not be concerned if the game does not download again. It is not like that is a huge part of the purchase anyway.

yes because if you format the drive does it erase all your shop channel cookies? hmmmmm, ask customer care

Alright, I formatted with any issues. I also bought some more Wii points and downloaded Donkey Kong Country. [strike]However, I can't figure out for the life of me how to "reset" the game so that I can get to another saved game, start a multiplayer game, etc. Everytime I start up DKC, it resumes from a suspended state, and I can't remember the buttons from SNES to reset the game. Any help is appreciated...[/strike]

I'll post this question in the Wii Virtual Console category.

Last edited:
Back