Cd drive not reading Disc's

Shadowpunk

WiiChat Member
Nov 21, 2006
Help my cd drive wont read any cds i just installed/hooked it up to this computer and it was working on my previous pc so i know its not broken I even reset my pc and uninstalled/reinstalled the cd drive help plz:sick:

Is the drive on its own channel or is it connected with another device? If so did you make sure the master/slave/CS jumper was set properly? Can you enter the bios and check if its detected? Does it still eject when you press the button on the front? Does it show up in device manager?

Is the drive on its own channel or is it connected with another device? If so did you make sure the master/slave/CS jumper was set properly? YES

Can you enter the bios and check if its detected? ???

Does it still eject when you press the button on the front? YES

Does it show up in device manager? YES

My computer detects it and all but when i enter a cd i open the cd drive icon on my computer and it ejects and says please enter cd

Last edited:
Are you sure the CD isnt blank?
Do you have another drive in the same computer to test with?

Do you have a copy of your OS cd still? We could rule out the operating system by booting off the CD directly.

ciper said:

Do you have a copy of your OS cd still? We could rule out the operating system by booting off the CD directly.
Yea im sure the cd isnt blank and im running Vista im tryin to configure my cd drive to format my harddrive and install XP i have the same problem like the people in this link i found (Im running vista Ultimate also) i tried rebooting with cd in drive see if it read it but still didnt work
[MEDIA]http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Vista-Recognizing-CD-DVD-Disks-ftopict31998.html[/MEDIA]

ciper said:

Yea im sure the cd isnt blank and im running Vista im tryin to configure my cd drive to format my harddrive and install XP i have the same problem like the people in this link i found (Im running vista Ultimate also) i tried rebooting with cd in drive see if it read it but still didnt work
http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Vista-Recognizing-CD-DVD-Disks-ftopict31998.htmlhttp://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Vista-Recognizing-CD-DVD-Disks-ftopict31998.html

Configure your CD drive to format your hard drive?

So you want to reinstall XP?

When you boot up enter the Bios Setup and make sure that CD is the first boot choice.

ciper said:
Configure your CD drive to format your hard drive?

So you want to reinstall XP?

When you boot up enter the Bios Setup and make sure that CD is the first boot choice.
No i mean i now how to make it so that it boots off the cd drive but when i enter a cd it just spits it back out and says enter cd here lemme take a screenshot...

ciper said:
But booting from a CD has nothing to do with the OS. Thats all handled before the hard drive is even accessed
Okay this is what i wana do
1.fix my cd rom drive to read discs
2.format hard drive
3.boot off disc successfully install Windows XP

Alright. Is the hard drive PATA? If so can you swap the CD cable with the HD cable?

Do a fresh boot, insert a cd, get the error and then check the system event log for any red or yellow signs.

Alright. Is the hard drive PATA? If so can you swap the CD cable with the HD cable?
It says ATA yea i can switch the cables though
Do a fresh boot, insert a cd, get the error and then check the system event log for any red or yellow signs.
k brb

Last edited:
Srry for double post but no it didnt work i switched the cables and it just froze at bootup

So you had the hard drive attached to the same spot on the motherboard but using the CD cable and the CD drive attached to port 2 on the motherboard using the old hard drive cable and it couldnt boot the OS?

If that is the case it sounds like you have a bad cable?

ciper said:
So you had the hard drive attached to the same spot on the motherboard but using the CD cable and the CD drive attached to port 2 on the motherboard using the old hard drive cable and it couldnt boot the OS?

If that is the case it sounds like you have a bad cable?
Yea i switched the cables around slave with master
the slave was connected to the cd drive but i switched it around and now the cd drive was connected to the master and hard drive with slave but it didnt boot i have like 3 different cables though ill try em out and get back

Back