Cd drive not reading Disc's

You are confusing me.

Slave / Master is a function of the jumpers on the drive
Although the master should be on the end of the cable its not required
Channels on the motherboard are another separate thing

Are you saying the HD and CD are on the same cable?
Or are you saying the HD is on channel one of the motherboard and the CD is on channel two? (each on their own cable with nothing else attached)

ciper said:
You are confusing me.

Slave / Master is a function of the jumpers on the drive
Although the master should be on the end of the cable its not required
Channels on the motherboard are another separate thing

Are you saying the HD and CD are on the same cable?
Or are you saying the HD is on channel one of the motherboard and the CD is on channel two? (each on their own cable with nothing else attached)
Yea theyre both on the same cable as i only have one input on my motherboard

Only one? Are you sure? If you check device manager under IDE/ATAPI Controllers do you see primary and secondary? What model motherboard? Ive only ever seen single IDE ports on micro-ITX boards.

If so I have a test. Connect ONLY the CD and set it as the master with the jumper and put it at the end of the IDE cable. Do not connect the HD. During startup make sure the CD is detected as primary master and if it is try to boot the CD.

ciper said:
Only one? Are you sure? If you check device manager under IDE/ATAPI Controllers do you see primary and secondary? What model motherboard? Ive only ever seen single IDE ports on micro-ITX boards.

If so I have a test. Connect ONLY the CD and set it as the master with the jumper and put it at the end of the IDE cable. Do not connect the HD. During startup make sure the CD is detected as primary master and if it is try to boot the CD.
umm i have a screenshot of my pc info and yea i connected the cd drive to the master jumper (with the hard drive) and it said boot from cd but it didnt work :sick:

Attachments

• ....jpg
    ....jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 4
Shadowpunk said:
umm i have a screenshot of my pc info and yea i connected the cd drive to the master jumper (with the hard drive) and it said boot from cd but it didnt work :sick:
You are supposed to do it with the hard drive removed. Did you verify it was detected in the bios?

On the screenshot you sent do you see the link for device manager at the top? Look in there to see if the CD drive is listed and also if the secondary IDE is listed.

Do you know the model number of your motherboard?

ciper said:
You are supposed to do it with the hard drive removed. Did you verify it was detected in the bios?

On the screenshot you sent do you see the link for device manager at the top? Look in there to see if the CD drive is listed and also if the secondary IDE is listed.

Do you know the model number of your motherboard?
yea it was detected in bios thats what i see when i enter device manager the motherboard is an elitegroup ht 200 geforce 6100 thats what it says on the box

Attachments

• ....jpg
    ....jpg
    117 KB · Views: 3
Can you expand the IDE/ATAPI controllers and check for primary and secondary?

Im looking up specs on your MB. Can you tell me the model number of your CD?

Is your HD PATA or SATA?

Edit: Here is your MB http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...goryID=1&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=46&LanID=9
Sorry for doubting you. You are right that it only has one Pata port. It has two sata ports.

So to double check did you try booting the CD with the hard drive not connected at all?

Last edited:

Attachments

• ....jpg
    ....jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 5
Does the HD use a cable like this (sata)
sata-connector-174x200.gif

Or like this (pata)
idecables320.jpg

Crap.

Are you using an 80 pin IDE cable and putting the CD in the middle set on slave and the HD at the end set on master normally?

So can you try disconnecting the HD, setting the CD as master and try to boot from it with the HD not attached? If that doesnt work then your CD might be dead.

The reason I say to remove the HD is because in the past (years back) there were some HD and CD that wouldnt play well together on the same cable. Did this HD and CD ever work together on the same cable?

ciper said:
Crap.

So can you try disconnecting the HD, setting the CD as master and try to boot from it with the HD not attached? If that doesnt work then your CD might be dead.

k ill try

ciper said:
You are changing the jumpers on the drive right?
c00366527.jpg
ummm no not that i dont have anything connected there all i have is the PATA connection and power connection :scared:

Back