Cd drive not reading Disc's

Well does the drive say to remove the jumpers? The sticker on top of the drive should say how to set them. That is probably why its not working - you have to use jumpers to tell the drive its slave.

Last edited:
ciper said:
Well does the drive say to remove the jumpers? The sticker on top of the drive should say how to set them. That is probably why its not working - you have to use jumpers to tell the drive its slave.
no the drive doesnt say anything and no theres no sticker on top of the cd drive as i removed it from my other pc

Well you are going to have to find a jumper because the drive is now either in Master mode or cable select mode which shouldnt work. Can you get the model number of the drive? are there any markings on the PCB?

So what happened when you tried with only the CD attached? Did it detect in the bios as primary master or?

ciper said:
Well you are going to have to find a jumper because the drive is now either in Master mode or cable select mode which shouldnt work. Can you get the model number of the drive? are there any markings on the PCB?

So what happened when you tried with only the CD attached? Did it detect in the bios as primary master or?
When i tried it with the cd attached it said boot from cd:
and it said amd sumthing sumthing then it said boot failed enter system cd and press enter and i had the system cd:wtf:

I am 75% sure the issue is the jumpers on your drive.

When booting up it should say "hit f1 to enter setup" or "hit del to enter cmos configuration" and if you do that you can find a section that lists the drives. See what the CD is detected as when its connected all on its own.

ciper said:
I am 75% sure the issue is the jumpers on your drive.

When booting up it should say "hit f1 to enter setup" or "hit del to enter cmos configuration" and if you do that you can find a section that lists the drives. See what the CD is detected as when its connected all on its own.
Yea i did that and i went to my cd drive and it displayed my cd drive
THis is the error i get when i try and run cds...

Attachments

• cddrv.jpg
    cddrv.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 3
Shadowpunk said:
Yea i did that and i went to my cd drive and it displayed my cd drive
THis is the error i get when i try and run cds...

Haha you missed the most important part of the question. Im not just asking if its detected Im asking what it was detected as! Master or slave.

Separate question, is there a model number on the cd drive?

I seriously think you need a jumper to set the CD as slave.

Haha you missed the most important part of the question. Im not just asking if its detected Im asking what it was detected as! Master or slave.
Idk how do you check that in the bios?

Separate question, is there a model number on the cd drive?
Yea its a HL DT ST GCE 8400B

I seriously think you need a jumper to set the CD as slave.

OKAY I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!! THNXZ FOR HELPING ME WELL IT WAS DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT IT WAS THE DRIVE THAT WAS BROKEN I SWITCHED IT WITH A DVD DRIVE AND IT WORKED WELL THNZ AGAIN FOR HELPING +REP:yesnod:

Sorry I wasnt able to help you finally fix it. I had to leave and when I came back it was already very late.

Good thing you figured it out. Have you considered getting a SATA drive?

ciper said:
Sorry I wasnt able to help you finally fix it. I had to leave and when I came back it was already very late.

Good thing you figured it out. Have you considered getting a SATA drive?
Well it was the cd drive was broken and nah i dont use my cd rom drive for anything all i need it for was to boot the installation disc off it.

Back