Chkdsk

TheCosmicFrog

WiiChat Member
Mar 5, 2007
I accidentally got CHKDSK to run at the start of windows and rather than waiting hours for the damn thing to stop, I want to stop it now. If I hit the power button, could it corrupt my hard drive?

Yes it could, I ran system restore once and it took ages so I turned the power off, turned it back on and the image went weird, some major system files deleted etc, i got in so much trouble as it was our family computer, i had to re-install windows :(
But yeah, anything that involves hard drive checking etc should be left alone, i learnt my lesson.
lee

If you want to disable chkdsk on bootup open the registry to
Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute
and delete the line that says "autocheck autochk *"

I agree with resi, just cut the power and go for it! How will you ever get anywhere in life if you don't take chances?

If you cut the power, maybe it will ruin your computer, which leads you to go take a walk outside, which leads you to meeting a very rich movie director who then casts you for the new summer block buster coming out in 2008. Then you start going on late night talk shows, they make little dolls with your face on them, little kids everywhere will be playing with mini yous and the money will be rolling in. All because you took a chance!

Scream said:
I agree with resi, just cut the power and go for it! How will you ever get anywhere in life if you don't take chances?

If you cut the power, maybe it will ruin your computer, which leads you to go take a walk outside, which leads you to meeting a very rich movie director who then casts you for the new summer block buster coming out in 2008. Then you start going on late night talk shows, they make little dolls with your face on them, little kids everywhere will be playing with mini yous and the money will be rolling in. All because you took a chance!

Highly unlikely though but I get whatn you mean, I still would like my PC working though..

The first time i did this, it took about 5 hours and that was after 4 months. Now its bin 13 months since i bought this and its at 80% of stage 5/5 in 40 mins! so i didnt need to restart after all! yay!!! Thanks LJ and guys

CZMQFRG said:
The first time i did this, it took about 5 hours and that was after 4 months. Now its bin 13 months since i bought this and its at 80% of stage 5/5 in 40 mins! so i didnt need to restart after all! yay!!! Thanks LJ and guys

NP pal :thumbsup: , glad to hear your PC is up and running again :)
lee

ciper said:
You sir are a moron. Even with HFS+ journaled volumes you can have the same issue.

No need to call him a moron for owning a mac..

I didnt. I called him a moron for not knowing about the Mac he owns.

My most recent Macs include a G4 Titanium and 1.52GHZ PPC mini. I personally prefer my Dell running 10.4.8 and 10.4.9

I often get suckered into supporting Macs once they go off the deep end. I know the truth behind the grey error screen with an image of a power button in the background.

The only difference between the PC and Mac is that the PC lets you see the ugly error message while the mac hides it in logs and instead presents you with a generic catch all message.

Edit: Windows CHKDSK = MAC FSCK

Last edited:
Turn it off and see what happens!

I seriously though I experienced the Y2K Crash today, a really late one xD because all the electrical appliances just shut off except for lightbulbs and stuff like that...

Back