College internet?

Here's a thought, since this is an issue specific to the problems caused by the user authentication put in place by various colleges: start a friggin club, or look for a "gamer" club at your school. Find the dorks. Get together and make it work. Turn off the TV. Turn on your brain. And then write a comprehensive guide detailing exactly how to connect your Wii to your specific school's network, and make it available on this website.

gamechaser001 said:
are you saying that your college's wi-fi authentication for the school Wi-Fi access point isn't compatible with the Wii, so the dongle won't work because it won't work with your schools network?

If so, the dongle dosen't go on the Wii, it plugs into your computer, the only way the dongle won't work is if your computer can't access the internet.

The Wii connects to your computer, then your computer connects to the college network like it normally does, your computer just serves as a Nintendo only internet connection point, the Wii's internal wireless card connects to dongle after the software the dongle comes with is installed on your computer, if your computer connects to the internet i'm 100% sure the Wii can get online

nononon What I'm saying is that the dongle is on my PC. But the thing is that at the begining of the year they give us this setup disk to run on all our PCS that configured all our internet to authenticate over IEEE 802.1x.

When I set up the dongle it creates a new network connection on my PC.

Internet connection(wired)---->my pc(authenticates via 802.1x)----> Dongle(broadcasts an authenticated connection)----->Wii

The authentication happens between the dongle and computer, as it makes a new network connection. When I go to my network connections i see three of them, one for home, one for school, and one random one called "connection 6" That connection is the Wi-Fi dongle. Because I have my network settings to authenticate via 801.1x any new connection will automaticaly use that as default settings. The problem is that the Wii can't autehnticate to my network because the wii doesn't have 802.1x software. But all i have to do is turn off 802.1x on that connection. The wii then connects to the dongle, which shares the internet connection on my PC. The PC is already authenticated for 802.1x, so eveything works.

the only way the dongle won't work is if your computer can't access the internet.
It's not that simple. That's what most people seem to think but no one consideres the Wiis capabilities. Like in my case. The Wii did not have the software to authenticate so I had to essentialy re-rout the connection first to my PC so it could authentic

Last edited:
tank said:
nononon What I'm saying is that the dongle is on my PC. But the thing is that at the begining of the year they give us this setup disk to run on all our PCS that configured all our internet to authenticate over IEEE 802.1x.

When I set up the dongle it creates a new network connection on my PC.

Internet connection(wired)---->my pc(authenticates via 802.1x)----> Dongle(broadcasts an authenticated connection)----->Wii

The authentication happens between the dongle and computer, as it makes a new network connection. When I go to my network connections i see three of them, one for home, one for school, and one random one called "connection 6" That connection is the Wi-Fi dongle. Because I have my network settings to authenticate via 801.1x any new connection will automaticaly use that as default settings. The problem is that the Wii can't autehnticate to my network because the wii doesn't have 802.1x software. But all i have to do is turn off 802.1x on that connection. The wii then connects to the dongle, which shares the internet connection on my PC. The PC is already authenticated for 802.1x, so eveything works.

It's not that simple. That's what most people seem to think but no one consideres the Wiis capabilities. Like in my case. The Wii did not have the software to authenticate so I had to essentialy re-rout the connection first to my PC so it could authentic
so eveything works.
So, then, it works, good, story over

with that dongle, it sends it's own standard, it's not an 802.11a/g/b signal like the ones computers use, it uses a propriatary protocol that only the Wii and the DS understands, and as far as I know, the Wii dosen't need need the authentication installed, the authentication stops at the computer, and if that computer shares the internet connection, it does not go further than that computer, in other words, it's like saying, let's say you and a friend went to your place, you unlock your door and walk in, the key you use to unlock your door is the authentication, it authenticates you access to your area, now at this point, your friend is just going to walk in, right? You wouldn't just close and lock the door on your friend and hope they have a key, if you set your computer up as a router, there is no way that any device that gets an internet connection from your computer to require authentication, it's just impossible behind a router

Back