Comparing Sales

Dorkfish

I'm Good at Games
Oct 15, 2007
In the Boondocks
Wii Online Code
3041-8420-1576-4112
All of my information is taken from VGChartz, which compiles numbers taken straight from developers.

Xbox 360 Release Date: November 22, 2005
PS3 Release Date: November 11, 2006

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 35.11m
PS3 Total Sales: 29.01m

Xbox 360 Average Sales Per Year: 8.77m
PS3 Average Sales Per Year: 9.67

Basically what this says, is that the PS3 is actually outselling the 360 by a Million a year, and the only reason that the 360 is in the lead is because it was released a year earlier. Really, the only thing the 360 outsells the PS3 is in games.

yeah.. now that they are affordable and its the holidays they are flying off the shelves. i see people buying them left and right when im in gamestop or target or walmart or wherever. i saw a couple well into their 80s buying one at target, haha obviously a gift though. hell, i just bought another one lol.

All of my information is taken from VGChartz, which compiles numbers taken straight from developers.

Basically what this says, is that the PS3 is actually outselling the 360 by a Million a year, and the only reason that the 360 is in the lead is because it was released a year earlier. Really, the only thing the 360 outsells the PS3 is in games.
and the main, or at least the original reason for that was the Halo and Gears of War series.

and the main, or at least the original reason for that was the Halo and Gears of War series.

Not necessarily. Other exclusive titles that sold quiiiite a few, like Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, back when Oblivion was exclusive it sold over 4 million, all those titles sold plenty. That's not saying that PS3 titles don't sell, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, and Resistance have all sold over 4 mill, but that's change compared to what Halo and Gears sell.

yeah but in the 360 early days, its sales were pretty much because of Gears and Halo, then others started coming out. i know it sold tons of games, i was just pointing out the biggest reason they sold so well. thats not the reason anymore but still

yeah but in the 360 early days, its sales were pretty much because of Gears and Halo, then others started coming out. i know it sold tons of games, i was just pointing out the biggest reason they sold so well. thats not the reason anymore but still

Oblivion was out before Halo 3 and Gears

VGChartz isn't reliable...but those numbers are good.

Currently, PS3 is outselling 360 worldwide this year...but the strongholds remain consistent for each console (X360 still has the US and UK, PS3 has EU for the most part and Japan and I think other PAL countries...no idea with Canada). Simply put, the momentum surge with PS3 caused by the price cut and slim version is boosting sales everywhere.

And we haven't even gotten started yet. Final Fantasy XIII just released in Japan and sold over a million copies on day one. Many of those are in the PS3 special addition bundles, so expect many historic sales figures for PS3 hardware and software in Japan very soon.

However, next year will truly show where the tide will be turning once the motion controls are released. Project Natal looks very promising and may put a dent in PS3's momentum. But then again, the more familiar Sony motion controls might work out better, too, so who knows.

Last edited:
Yeah I have a feeling that Natal is gonna sell like hotcakes.

Doesn't interest me at all though. The idea of playing games just with....you seems flawed and ultimately not very fun.

But, I'll judge it for real when it releases.

First post in a month or more :D

Did you miss me? No? Yea, wouldn't expect anyone to. =P

Back