Component Cables on normal TV

klsrc

The Voice of Reason...
Jan 2, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Hi all,

I was considering the component cables, but I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with using them on a normal old tube TV. I have a 27" Magnavox that I got a little over a year ago. The TV does have component inputs and I can adjust aspect ratios to 4:3 or 16:9. The TV also has the ability to receive Digital channels.

I'm not sure if that makes it a SDTV or EDTV my guess is SDTV but perhaps one of you can enlighten me. I also wanted to know how much of a difference these cables would make for me given the type of TV I currently have. Obviously, if I can use enhanced definition mode, there will be a considerable difference. However, I am guessing that is not the case...so will component cables on standard definition settings look much better?

Thanks!

Judging by the fact that your TV does have component inputs, your TV can probably display 480p, which is Wii's best output and if I'm correct, that is considered EDTV. With the included composite cables, it can only display 480i (SDTV). I just got some about a month ago and I love them. I highly recommend getting some. Just don't get ripped off by really expensive ones. And do go too cheap. I would spend $10-20

Last edited:
klsrc, i got something to share with you... :yesnod: you prolly know all this but i like to share.

Which Component Cable:

ANY cable... really... i got my 3 footer for $6.81 AFTER shipping from ebay.

ANY component cable made for wii. just dont' get one of those cables that supports, wii, 360, and ps3 all the same time... pricey!

ANY wii component cable 3 to 6 feet long... the shorter, the better! :yesnod:

i have a sony trinitron 27" CRT
i got the componenet cables for the PS2 a few years back. even with the CRT, the componenet cables do help. when playing GTA, the buildings that were farther away showed up sooner. so yes, they do help.
the wii will automatically sense what kind of settings are available.

i got them and they are gr8 better colour and sharper picture, is a must get for any wii owner.

I payed $11 for mine with shipping and everything else, if u want the link just let me know.

~X

Back