Concerns about over heating?

Rosbaughcr said:
any links to proof of this? My Wii had been connected to Connect24 since a month after US launch, and RE4 is the game I play most often, and I see no lines.

There's quite a few threads on it over the web such as

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobby/b8270/139581906/p1

Ninendo UK were aware of the problem when i called them although they have not confirmed it is WiiConnect 24, but most techheads seem to think it is this.

I'm a new owner of Wii (about 2 weeks) and this is exactly what I worry! I noticed that my Wii got really warm even though I didn't use it al day. I checked Nintendo web site and found out that the reason is most likely from my Wii setting with Wiiconnect24 on. When I turned off that Wiiconnect24, I could feel the difference right away: my Wii was not constantly hot as it used too. What a relief! To be honest, I didn't think that it helped because even though on standby mode (orange light) I don't think the Wii is working because I didn't hear any noise from Wii or that the harddrive is constantly spinning. So why the heck it's getting hot, right? Anyway, do you guys know whether I should leave Wiiconnect24 on or not?

Johndoe01 said:
I'm a new owner of Wii (about 2 weeks) and this is exactly what I worry! I noticed that my Wii got really warm even though I didn't use it al day. I checked Nintendo web site and found out that the reason is most likely from my Wii setting with Wiiconnect24 on. When I turned off that Wiiconnect24, I could feel the difference right away: my Wii was not constantly hot as it used too. What a relief! To be honest, I didn't think that it helped because even though on standby mode (orange light) I don't think the Wii is working because I didn't hear any noise from Wii or that the harddrive is constantly spinning. So why the heck it's getting hot, right? Anyway, do you guys know whether I should leave Wiiconnect24 on or not?
Well you wouldn't hear a hard drive spinning since Wiis don't have HDDs. It gets hot because it is constantly connecting to the internet to see if you have any messages or anything every few minutes. I would leave it on as it won't hurt anything.

Keep hold of the power button on the top of the Wii. When the lights on the Wiimote shut off you can let go and the Wii will go onto standby

Red light = Not connected to WiiConnect24
Orange Light = You are connected [Wii will go Blue if you get a message]

paintba||er said:

Well you wouldn't hear a hard drive spinning since Wiis don't have HDDs. It gets hot because it is constantly connecting to the internet to see if you have any messages or anything every few minutes. I would leave it on as it won't hurt anything.
Thank you! I appreciate your feedback! But I think I'll just leave Wiiconnect24 off as I'm not a "business" person that has tons of messages every day or all the messages are urgent :lol: I'll get it when I get it. I just want to play safe. :)

Back