depressed, need to vent, help me feel better :/

SensesFail

WiiChat Member
May 6, 2007
Ohio
im sad, i just got my xbox 360 2 days ago and i rent bioshock and im so excited to play it and have a good time for a few hours and my xbox gets the red ring of death. so i was like okay wtf, its only 3 rings maybe the game is ****ed up or something. so i put in halo 3, wich i bought, and the same **** happened. so i put back in bioshock and it actually played but then it did that infamous scraping of the disc around the center of it and ruined it. so i took it back and was like "sumones xbox ruined the game, can i get a new copy" not only did i get a new copy i got a free game as well (rented a wii game cause i wasnt aobut to put another disc in my xbox) so i got out of buying that game, its dishonest i know, but it's only 60 dollars from a large buisness, they can deal.

so i goto gamestop and ask whats the deal w/their return policy and the red ring of death. i got a little good news and they said they can replace it within 30 days if the hardware fails, like it did, and that its just an even exchage but the guy went on to tell me they didnt have any xbox's in stock. i wasnt too pissed cause i got my xbox at teh mall fifteen minutes away from that store and they had 5 two days ago. but i went there, their out, the other 3 stores in teh area, all out. im basically ****ed in the ass and i have to wait till they get some in stock and its just so sad cause i JUST got it and im afraid to put halo in it and have that ruined as well trying to play it.

on top of it all im losing all my saved progress in halo 3 and i dotn want to redo the first few hours of it again.

i just feel so shitty that i bought an xbox, it was a mistake cause i know its gonna happen again sooner or later and if its after 30 days GS wont take it back and i ahve to deal with microsoft. ugh, i want a PS3 :/

Just buy an in store warranty if your so worried.
It's basically luck of the draw with the 360 though, so I don't know what to tell ya.
=/
It's a bummer though, hearing all these stories about peoples 360's failing.

the instore is fifty bucks though :/ i thought microsoft fixed the problem w/the 360s.

apparently i was wrong and that generation hasnt been released yet.

when i explained what the red ring was to my mom and why i needed to return it she said "You bought one knowing this could happen!?" well, yeah i did and i learned a valuble lesson today too. dont act on impulses.

1. Your hard drive has all of your game saves on it. So even though your 360 died you haven't lost your game saves and or gamer score.

2. To be honest you're quite lucky that this happened soon after if you bought the console. If you had owned the console for more than a year you would have had to contact Xbox support. After contacting them it would take at least a week or so before they sent you a box to ship your 360 in for repairs. After that it would be at least a month before you got your refurbished or new console in the mail.

3. With that being said I consider you to be somewhat lucky.

your right, i guess i am lucky it happened so soon. i was too pissed off last night to realize this. and i know my saved stuff is on the hard drive but gamestop wotn let me switch the hard drive w/the new one.

damn, sorry to hear that. i agree with syntax, your are lucky in a way. i'm still waiting for my xbox to return from repairs lol, it can take a month or so, u just gotta wait for one in stock. Goodluck!

Having to send in your box to Microsoft is actually pretty good now. Good as in they're now fixing the problem, instead of just replacing parts.

They're now putting upgraded heatsinks in them to help with the red ring of death, which is mostly due to overheating from what I understand. I can't remember if it's the CPU sink or the GPU (or both) that they're replacing.

mine definately wasnt overheated. its in my basement where its about 65-70 degrees and it was out in the open in the middle of the room sitting on a box (to keep air around it so it doesnt fry) and i had only played it about an hour or so that day and abotu 2 hours the day before that. when i turned it on it happened immediately. so i know it didnt overheat.

im going to a neighboring city to find an xbox premium today, wish me luck.

Budo said:
Having to send in your box to Microsoft is actually pretty good now. Good as in they're now fixing the problem, instead of just replacing parts.

They're now putting upgraded heatsinks in them to help with the red ring of death, which is mostly due to overheating from what I understand. I can't remember if it's the CPU sink or the GPU (or both) that they're replacing.
some people have had their xbox repaired and still got the red ring a week later, when i brought mine to ups, the guy said he gets about 7 360s a day to send to texas for repair, and some of them were there 2 or 3 times, it makes me wonder if mine is even being fixed for good :yikes:

i had the premium, and updated to the Elite. so far i've had no problems, but i do feel for those who have had the 3 rings of death. My advice is, purchase the extra warranty. Its better to have it and not need it than the other way round.

yes, yes, we all know the towel trick.

if you did more research than "youtube" youd also know its a temp. fix lasting up to a week at most, ten minutes at the least.

That sucks I will be getting a 360 soon but I didn't know some people got the red rings so soon. But none of my friends who have 360s ever got the rings so hopefully mine will be like that.

PS3 will have a $399 version on November (40 Gigs)

I have a Wii by now..

XBOX 360 sucks, PS3 is too expensive, so I got a Wii

But if PS3 gets cheaper I will get one

I had a 360 once and after playing couple of hours in the middle of the game the screen was going black and then you had to reset the xbox to play again. No red ring of light, but this black screen (halted) issue. The same thing happened watching videos o game trailes in xbox live. I got my money back (Walmart) and got a Wii

You can read about the problems here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

Also you can watch videos about the situations here:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=XBOX+360+problems

Back