Does/Will Nintendo force censorship on Wii games?

JoeTheZombie

WiiChat Member
Nov 29, 2006
Idaho
I just read an interview with John Carmack stating that iD does not develop Nintendo games because of censorship imposed by Nintendo on previous productions released on the SNES.

Does Nintendo currently force censorship requirements on third party developers?

Nintendo used to make a big deal about censoring games released for their consoles, but not so much any more. Sadness and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles will be more mature games, for example.

They did it for Mortal Kombat 1 for SNES. No blood, just "sweat". Who knows if they did it for Red Steel.

ID? When Wolfenstein came out for the NES, ID had to remove anything Nazi, making the game suck kind of bad.

*hopes we're talking about the same thing*

Go buy Truecrime for the Gamecube, you'll see Nintnedo doesn't sensor games anymore. They saay the F-Word every five seconds in that game. Nintendo has been trying to get rid of it's "Kids only" staple for a while now. They do focus on games made for General audiences, but if a 3rd Party wants to put blood, and profanity in a game, Nintendo won't stop them. People made a major stink about the "Sweat" er gray blood in MK1, after that, MK2 was full of blood on the SNES.

Like others said, yeah they did big-time in the past, like making them cover naked statues on Castlevania and whatnot. However, it seems that they did not do this so much in Japan, so I think they're simply scared of Christian fanaticism and associated outcry and boycotts in the US more than wanting to be a good wholesome company.

mothershipconnection said:
Like others said, yeah they did big-time in the past, like making them cover naked statues on Castlevania and whatnot. However, it seems that they did not do this so much in Japan, so I think they're simply scared of Christian fanaticism and associated outcry and boycotts in the US more than wanting to be a good wholesome company.
LOL. Just like with the strap situation. Nintendo knows that if there could be a problem with it, Americans will be the first to say something.

Yeah - they don't do it anymore at all... although, I'm not sure an AO (Adult Only) game would be allowed. Some people are speculating that Sadness would be AO but I doubt it.

Master Foot said:
They did it for Mortal Kombat 1 for SNES. No blood, just "sweat". Who knows if they did it for Red Steel.

That was sweat?!?! I thought it was saw dust!!! lol

Back