DVD Playback on Wii

A built in DVD player would be nice for the simple reason of having one less device cluttered around the tv.

A load of crap if you ask me... The only time I had a DVD without a standalone DVD player was when I bought my PS2 (On launch). As soon as I moved out, I got me a nice cheap £25 DVD player as I played my gamecube more. I have a DVD player now, it seems pointless putting a DVD in the Wii... I hope these plans are abandoned, as I hate it when new systems are released mere months after the original release!!

Doesn't every man and his dog already have a DVD player? And even if you don't have one, they only cost about £20 nowadays anyway.

I'm not exactly opposed to DVD functionality, but unlike the 360 or PS3 (which play the newer formats, thus saving you buying an expensive separate player), I don't see why the Wii needs it.

This is such a non issue. Now if they were talking about 720p upgrade for example, thats another thing.

You can get a DVD player for about $15 these days.

well i think it is more an issue for those not wanting the cluter, surely part of the attaction of the wii is how amazing cool and small it looks, having to have a standalone dvd player sitting next to it (or in my case my ps2) clutering up the area around the tv/wii could lose slightly some of the apeal. but i agree that it shouldnt have it, cos i would rather swap a wire round the back of my tv, than pay lots of £'s more for the function i already have

I like how cheap the Wii is and think its a small price to pay for having to switch AV socket every now and again, I have no problems with their being 2 versions i guess, also chances are colours will come out at same time. Then people who havent got their Wii yet get a colour DVD playing Wii :eek:

I seriously wouldnt pay any extra money for a dvd player or colour, If i didnt have a wii and i had the choice of (A) Buying a White Wii with no DVD playback or (B) Buying a colour one with dvd playback. I would much rather save the extra money for controllers or games. Considering i love the white wii and i already have like 4+ dvd players.

My brother has a ps2 in his room. He can watch DVD's in there. It saves him buying a DVD player. But he doesn't NEED to watch DVD's in his room. I would prefer he didn't. He falls asleep to them - at 3am in the morning I wake up to the DVD's opening music, or something I can just hear it playing over and over again. But, its good for him to have a DVD player in his console. It does save some room, I suppose. But, for some reason not all DVD's can play on his ps2. So he steals the proper dvd players. Which annoys me greatly.

But a DVD player in the Wii doesn't really matter. Mine is the House of TV's. I think I can handle one that doesn't have a dvd player in it. Although - I wish my parents would hurry up and replace the broken dvd player. They are using mine currently, which means I have a TV in my room with nothing connected. I could put the Wii in, but my room gets way to hot in the middle of summer.

Back