EVERY Wii game should have the option

stugots

WiiChat Member
Dec 20, 2007
to be played with the classic controller.

Now in most cases I would not use it but for example right now I want to play ALOT of my Wii games and im having medical problems and can't really jump around and swing my Wiimote.

can't really relax and play games with the Wii

any thoughts on this?

Part of the whole point of the Wii is the different controller design. People are begging in mobs for game developers to not just half-heartedly tag on Wii remote capability onto existing standard-controller games, but to actually develop Wii games that inherently and thoroughly make use of the unique controller... part of the reason they bought a Wii in the first place.

You can't have it both ways. The "classic controller" is meant for playing Virtual Console games, which were never designed for the Wii remote and were specifically designed to be played with the type of controller which is the "Classic Controller". With many games, modifying them to use a classic controller would involve radical changes in gameplay style and interface, and would only go and cripple the game's enjoyment with a Wii remote.

I'm sorry you're having medical problems, but that might just mean the Wii isn't for you. Just like other activities might not be for you. You should consider another system, or stick with Virtual Console games.

Try to count up the wii games that can be played with a classic controller first. At least 3-4, right?

sremick said:
Part of the whole point of the Wii is the different controller design. People are begging in mobs for game developers to not just half-heartedly tag on Wii remote capability onto existing standard-controller games, but to actually develop Wii games that inherently and thoroughly make use of the unique controller... part of the reason they bought a Wii in the first place.

You can't have it both ways. The "classic controller" is meant for playing Virtual Console games, which were never designed for the Wii remote and were specifically designed to be played with the type of controller which is the "Classic Controller". With many games, modifying them to use a
classic controller would involve radical changes in gameplay style and interface, and would only go and cripple the game's enjoyment with a Wii remote.

I'm sorry you're having medical problems, but that might just mean the Wii isn't for you. Just like other activities might not be for you. You should consider another system, or stick with Virtual Console games.

Calm down, man. Nobody's going to hurt your Wii, so don't be so defensive about it. ;)

There are lots of games that can be played without a lot of jumping around and play just fine. Zelda: TP, for example, uses the controller and nunchuk without the need for jumping around.

I don't see how it'd hurt anybody to have more controller options in a game. EA Sports is starting to include a few options for their Wii games, and I know SSBB is supposed to have a few.

WlkSnake said:
Zelda: TP, for example, uses the controller and nunchuk without the need for jumping around.
Bad example. Twilight Princess is a Gamecube port. Although the Wii version came out first, development began on the Gamecube.

I don't see how it'd hurt anybody to have more controller options in a game.
You missed my point. If classic controller use could be just stapled-on without touching anything else, fine. I couldn't care less. But my actual point was that as more games' interface and total gameplay design is intrinsically tied to and based on the Wii remote, it will become harder and harder to come up with some sort of alternative classic-controller interface style that doesn't require redesigning the gameplay as a whole, thereby hobbling the experience for the Wii remote.

Wii owners suffer enough as it from the swath of games ported over from other consoles with Wii remote usage tacked on as a poorly-executed afterthought. We want better games, not more of the same shovelware.

stugots said:
to be played with the classic controller.

Now in most cases I would not use it but for example right now I want to play ALOT of my Wii games and im having medical problems and can't really jump around and swing my Wiimote.

can't really relax and play games with the Wii

any thoughts on this?
YEAH you know, especially games like COOKING MAMA, and RAVING RABBIDS, those games should definately be played with a classic controller, of course you would fail every single mission.

I just said make it an OPTION on the games if you like your Wii as it is ALL the time then by all means play it that way all the time but its always nice to have OPTIONS there alot of diffrent players out there who may want diffrent things SOME of the time.

Options are fine, but for more and more future games this would only result in limiting developers and restricting gameplay interface styles. Not every interface can translate back to some finger-twister combo on a "classic controller". The Wii remote frees us from such nonsense.

I mean for games like manhunt (which im playing now) theres no need for that game to no Wiimote only none at all

Manhunt is yet another port to the Wii, and totally outside the realm of what I am talking about. Keep in-mind you did say "every game should", which would be a travesty, for the reasons I gave.

What are you doing in your games? It's never required me to jump.

Well I have yet to see a Wii game where it really tested my strength and had me thinking about another controller. Sure options are good, but most games would not do well with the classic controller. Plus the Gamecube controller would be a better option, as it has rumble etc.

Some games though do have the option, some ports and other games.
Also I would rather see the Wiimote used more so more ideas for future uses are being thought of.

I agree with having the option to use the classic controller, but not everyone gets really into the game and "jumps around" per say while playing. I sit down myself and don't really put a strain on anything.

I was kinda being scarcastic LOL but I get your drift lol

Back