Exam Results!

javjaoll said:
I picked mine at the end of the 2nd year so we done a two year standard grade course starting from third year and ending in 4th year.

I picked my highers in the end of forth year so we could start straight in june for one month before summer.

It takes so much juggleing of classes though if you don't acheive your grade!

Did you go private schooling?

When you say second year you mean 'year 8' dont you?

nope, we do 7 primary years and you do 6primary years i think, so.... i think i mean year 9?......

And no i go to normal school.... lol.....

javjaoll said:
eh?! in England you have to go through 3 different schools?! Thats so weird, in Scotland we only do Primary - Secondary then College/University.
not nessicerally, i went to one primary school, moved in year 5 to another one, which also had a secondary school. but that secondary school also had a 6th form, so i stayed in one school from the age of about 10 to 19

DRMARIO said:
i have two gcses to do this year, and ill be doing the other eleven next year. I'm predicted A* for all thirteen of my gcses, so i'm not really worrying!

The way i see it is...if i were able to get a B In year seven , Id have to be pretty stupid to get less than an A* In year eleven!

Heh, we only ever get told our levels in numbers like 4b or 5a etc.

Even the people that got selected to do a special maths exam.

DRMARIO said:
i have two gcses to do this year, and ill be doing the other eleven next year. I'm predicted A* for all thirteen of my gcses, so i'm not really worrying!

The way i see it is...if i were able to get a B In year seven , Id have to be pretty stupid to get less than an A* In year eleven!

Thirteen!

Woah my gawd how come you do so many? And what ones are they?

*counts how many I did..*

Welsh Lang
Welsh Lit
English Lang
English Lit
Maths
Science
Science
German
ICT
Geography = 10 =/

DRMARIO said:
I'm doing:
English language
english lit
statistics course
mathematics
science
geography
food technology
ICT
fine art
another science course
sociology
religious education
spanish language

- I'm doing so many because I want to! It'll come i handy in the future.

i only have 7 GCSE, it doesn't make a difference how many you do.

DRMARIO said:
I'm doing:
English language
english lit
statistics course
mathematics
science
geography
food technology
ICT
fine art
another science course
sociology
religious education
spanish language

- I'm doing so many because I want to! It'll come i handy in the future.

Isnt it Double or triple science we have to choose?

How come you are doing them next year?

I thought you were in the year that just recently done the exams.

Cpt.McCloud said:
Isnt it Double or triple science we have to choose?

How come you are doing them next year?

I thought you were in the year that just recently done the exams.
He might be in a private school or something, because as far as I remember we could only do double (combined) or triple (seperate) science. Plus he's doing thigns like a stats course and sociology - I didn't know people could do them at GCSE! We just had the bog-standard subjects to choose from, and I don't think anybody could do as many as they wanted, I was just in a normal secondary school by the way, so I dunno, maybe he was in a private school, or his secondary school was different.

DRMARIO said:
I'm in a normal High-School.
The Gifted and talented are given alot more opportunity though, you see.

And in reply to Gaz, It can matter. The more subjects I have, I have more of a chance of participating in some course I may wish to do extra in college etc. And even if you don't agree, you can't say having more is a bad thing.

But no, no private school. My mum wanted me to go to one, but I'd much rather be a normal student..in a normal school.
Ahh okay...I was in the G&T and I got f*ck all! The school was meant to get money for us to do things but I don't remember us doing anything! The school just probably spent it themselves, no wonder the headteacher was bingin' round in a Jag.

I don't really think it makes a difference how many GCSE's you do though, are you planning on going to University? Because if you are, there's not much point in doing loads of college/A-Level courses, as most Uni's only take up to 4 grades, or 4 subject's worth of points. I was doing 4 A-Levels, then I realised the course I wanted to do at Uni only needed 3 A-Level grades, so I dropped one to concentrate on getting the 3 I needed.

It's not really that hard to get into Gifted and Talented, it basically isoltes you from other people, I don't see why they should get special treatment. Often the trips they made me go on were not beneficial for my future career and got in the way of work I should be doing, especially coursework which I was slightly not enthused to do, so I'd end up sitting there the day before handing it in having my own cram session.

But, anyway, my teachers say that we deserve it, we get extra work for Gifted and Talented. I can safely say that, I learnt nothing from it, the techniques that they used were bogus and I never want a preferred learning style. I don't want to be told how to revise, a session dedicated to revising, it's boring and I will lose concentration, you know what is best for you, I don't see why people should tell you otherwise.

There's this class called ASDAN that we had in my school, it was for the less able of the classmates. Basically over the course of two years they had to produce a portfolio based on their lives, they would go out on day trips, at least two every month, and one would be a main trip, they'd have classes that would let them decorate their folders with felt, whereas I was sitting there in a science lab studying forensics which I never ever want to do. Seriously though, ASDAN even got into Alton Towers for free. Gifted and Talented, Gifted and Talented went to Wales to get classes to help their revision sessions.

I tell you this, I did not revise for any one of my exams, maybe a little of a morning but that didn't sink in. They overestimate how important GCSEs are, all I need to do is grasp the required grades to get me into college, and I did that, I prefer to have my teenage years dedicated to what I enjoy most, not sitting there in a box that is known as my home revising every day. The amount of pressure that teachers put onto you is ridiculous at this stage, you don't need it. I am happy with my results, they're not the best, I know I could do better but I don't regret a single thing of it. I know my capabilities. I'm not aiming for the sun or anything.

Frogger said:
It's not really that hard to get into Gifted and Talented, it basically isoltes you from other people, I don't see why they should get special treatment. Often the trips they made me go on were not beneficial for my future career and got in the way of work I should be doing, especially coursework which I was slightly not enthused to do, so I'd end up sitting there the day before handing it in having my own cram session.

But, anyway, my teachers say that we deserve it, we get extra work for Gifted and Talented. I can safely say that, I learnt nothing from it, the techniques that they used were bogus and I never want a preferred learning style. I don't want to be told how to revise, a session dedicated to revising, it's boring and I will lose concentration, you know what is best for you, I don't see why people should tell you otherwise.

There's this class called ASDAN that we had in my school, it was for the less able of the classmates. Basically over the course of two years they had to produce a portfolio based on their lives, they would go out on day trips, at least two every month, and one would be a main trip, they'd have classes that would let them decorate their folders with felt, whereas I was sitting there in a science lab studying forensics which I never ever want to do. Seriously though, ASDAN even got into Alton Towers for free. Gifted and Talented, Gifted and Talented went to Wales to get classes to help their revision sessions.

I tell you this, I did not revise for any one of my exams, maybe a little of a morning but that didn't sink in. They overestimate how important GCSEs are, all I need to do is grasp the required grades to get me into college, and I did that, I prefer to have my teenage years dedicated to what I enjoy most, not sitting there in a box that is known as my home revising every day. The amount of pressure that teachers put onto you is ridiculous at this stage, you don't need it. I am happy with my results, they're not the best, I know I could do better but I don't regret a single thing of it. I know my capabilities. I'm not aiming for the sun or anything.
I completely, 100%, couldn't agree more! Although, we just didn't get to go anywhere with G&T, not even those revising classes! But that ASDAN class sounds like something in my school, except it tended to be for the bad kids (I'm not generalising but these were often the less-abled as well), and if they were good for a month they got to go on trips, like Alton Towers, for free. How the f*ck does that work? All that teaches is you should be bad to get put in that class, then be good so you can go on trips. Pathetic.

Also, as you said about teachers putting far too much pressure on you - that is very true. The GCSE's are, really, pointless. I didn't revise for any apart from what we did in school and maybe the odd read of some work here and there, but on the whole I did f*ck all. And I did fin...again, like you, Froggers, I could have done a lot better, but at what cost? Less time doing things better than revising and more time telling my friends that I won't be going out because I'm revising - erm, no thanks.

GOLDEN said:
is this for college exam results?
Are you English or American? Because I'd have to explain it differently depending on which, unless you understand both systems.

Last edited:
Lewi T said:
I completely, 100%, couldn't agree more! Although, we just didn't get to go anywhere with G&T, not even those revising classes! But that ASDAN class sounds like something in my school, except it tended to be for the bad kids (I'm not generalising but these were often the less-abled as well), and if they were good for a month they got to go on trips, like Alton Towers, for free. How the f*ck does that work? All that teaches is you should be bad to get put in that class, then be good so you can go on trips. Pathetic.

Also, as you said about teachers putting far too much pressure on you - that is very true. The GCSE's are, really, pointless. I didn't revise for any apart from what we did in school and maybe the odd read of some work here and there, but on the whole I did f*ck all. And I did fin...again, like you, Froggers, I could have done a lot better, but at what cost? Less time doing things better than revising and more time telling my friends that I won't be going out because I'm revising - erm, no thanks.

Wow, it's not often that I get people agreeing with me on this forum, let alone 100%. I didn't even think people read the lengthier posts around here. Danke.

There were different levels for Gifted and Talented in our school, you could even get recommending to be put in it if you were good at art, when I have never seen any art trips go into place. To me it should be a matter of intelligence, that's how the basis generally works. However, I see that people who have got into it for music and art is absolutely preposterous, a talent should be nourished and excelled, if anything, Gifted and Talented was holding people back. There's something called the National gifted and Talented, with a much longer name, they have shortened it to "NAUGHTY" to make it sound cool. Five people every year get to go for the National Gifted and Talented, it's basically one of those... University challenges for schools.

There is a CAT test in year 7 which determines your intelligence out of the whole year, no one gets to see their position but the top five. I managed to scrape in at number 3. I, really, am utterly clueless to how I got this spot, I am an average student and will remain an average student. They gave me forms encouraging me to "fight for Liverpool" when I simply just denied it. I am not that smart and it just came out as a fluke. They should measure IQ tests for this sort of thing.

ASDAN, those people make me laugh. It's usually the delinquents who are up to no good and are always caught smoking outside of school, the irony is if you're in lower sets you get to do a subject called Health and Social. I'm sure anyone with any amount of intelligence would want to study Health and Social if they tried, but there's only a certain level of stupidness you need for this situation... It makes me laugh, still. ASDAN was an option to take in school for those, dumber students, people who were in set 4's and 5's, those of which are the lowest. They had the option to do ASDAN or french. Guess what everyone chose. The luxury route.

Personally, I think that learning an extra language should be a choice, not a choice to those who simply "can't handle it." I don't own a passport and have never been out of little ol' England so I doubt I'd go to France. French being, the, what, 13th most spoken language in the world, it's hardly beneficial. Most of the people in our neighbouring country speak english anyway. I hated learning french, it was one of my worst lessons, I just despised every bit of it, partially due to I had no friends and just couldn't work without them. But, english is a dominating language, I don't see why we need another, especially those in ASDAN.

The only thing that really makes sense in schooling is the EMA system, how I freaking love it so.

Frogger said:
Wow, it's not often that I get people agreeing with me on this forum, let alone 100%. I didn't even think people read the lengthier posts around here. Danke.

There were different levels for Gifted and Talented in our school, you could even get recommending to be put in it if you were good at art, when I have never seen any art trips go into place. To me it should be a matter of intelligence, that's how the basis generally works. However, I see that people who have got into it for music and art is absolutely preposterous, a talent should be nourished and excelled, if anything, Gifted and Talented was holding people back. There's something called the National gifted and Talented, with a much longer name, they have shortened it to "NAUGHTY" to make it sound cool. Five people every year get to go for the National Gifted and Talented, it's basically one of those... University challenges for schools.

There is a CAT test in year 7 which determines your intelligence out of the whole year, no one gets to see their position but the top five. I managed to scrape in at number 3. I, really, am utterly clueless to how I got this spot, I am an average student and will remain an average student. They gave me forms encouraging me to "fight for Liverpool" when I simply just denied it. I am not that smart and it just came out as a fluke. They should measure IQ tests for this sort of thing.

ASDAN, those people make me laugh. It's usually the delinquents who are up to no good and are always caught smoking outside of school, the irony is if you're in lower sets you get to do a subject called Health and Social. I'm sure anyone with any amount of intelligence would want to study Health and Social if they tried, but there's only a certain level of stupidness you need for this situation... It makes me laugh, still. ASDAN was an option to take in school for those, dumber students, people who were in set 4's and 5's, those of which are the lowest. They had the option to do ASDAN or french. Guess what everyone chose. The luxury route.

Personally, I think that learning an extra language should be a choice, not a choice to those who simply "can't handle it." I don't own a passport and have never been out of little ol' England so I doubt I'd go to France. French being, the, what, 13th most spoken language in the world, it's hardly beneficial. Most of the people in our neighbouring country speak english anyway. I hated learning french, it was one of my worst lessons, I just despised every bit of it, partially due to I had no friends and just couldn't work without them. But, english is a dominating language, I don't see why we need another, especially those in ASDAN.

The only thing that really makes sense in schooling is the EMA system, how I freaking love it so.
No probs! I enjoy the lengthier posts when particular things are being discussed.

We didn't have different levels, I'm not even sure how people got put in it because nothing ever happened with it. I think I may remember a meeting back in Year 9 maybe, but that was all. Yeah any talents and/or particular intelligence that was found should have been nourished and encouraged, but nothing ever happened for anyone that I can remember.

I don't remember taking that test but I do remember some people talking about it in later years, it annoyed me because I wanted to know what I got! But then in 6th Form in this teacher's psychology class, he told some people their scores, which annoyed me even more.

I hated languages as well. We had to do French in years 7, 8 and 9, and also German in Year 8 and 9, then we had to decide one to do at GCSE (I think you could have done both). They were utterly pointless. I've been to France a few times and I've never ever needed to speak the language. Any few things that you may need to know you already do, like hello etc. Same goes for most countries.
At GCSE I chose German, and it ended up being my worst result. Lmfao, it was just funny though. In the writing exam (which we had 2 lessons to recreate a piece of writing - very easy) I got an A*, in the coursework I got an A, and in the speaking exam I got a B...overall I got a C, lmao, so I dread to think what I got on the reading and listening exams! Half the class was just laughing in them because they were pathetic - no-one had a clue. I just made up answers.

Ha the EMA system, I love it too. It is ridiculously unfair though. But I got it so I don't care.

Back