External USB hard drives?

xxMarka

WiiChat Member
Nov 24, 2006
people have discussed running homebrew games and stuff off of an SD card, right?
I was wondering if I could do the same things with an external USB hard drive (like my ipod in disk mode) as I could with an SD card, like game saves, photos, and homebreww stuff

any help would be appreciated

Inspire said:
not right now, at least.

Does anyone think that external drives might become part of the Wii feature?

Really, all I want is loads of capacity either on an ehdd or an SD card, but I won't pay trazillions for an SD card..! But, then I can't see why I want loads of capacity for my Wii, because I haven't really got anything to put in it - it's not as though the VC downloads I've got take up that much space and I'm not really going to get any more.

:rolleyes:

If there's a will....and there always is....

then hackers will find a way.

People with wayyyy too much time on their hands always find ways to get **** done.

My guess is 6 months and someone will have hacked it to the point where people will have their own channels on the Wii (for an in Wii media player) and a way to hook up externals.

I get the same sort of feeling... I'm sure the Wii is just asking to be hacked to death.

-----------------------

I like the 'Lord of Jazz & Obscurity' bit... can I utter some Zappa (not that I know any, but...)

"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny!" :smilewinkgrin:

what if u take a drive and plug it in through an SD slot, like ppl did with the PSP with memstick?

I'm sure that it can be done. Sadly, there's no official practical use for high capacity storage on the wii yet.

banned said:
I get the same sort of feeling... I'm sure the Wii is just asking to be hacked to death.

-----------------------

I like the 'Lord of Jazz & Obscurity' bit... can I utter some Zappa (not that I know any, but...)

"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny!" :smilewinkgrin:

It surely does smell funny...

Mostly because nearly all of it is underground now. :|

Bet it'll only be to support their OWN drive, tho.

....you CAN use an external HD on the Wii. It just has to be formatted to FAT 32 instead of NTFS. And make sure you take any SD cards out.

But no, there is no homebrew on the Wii yet.

Kryptenx said:
....you CAN use an external HD on the Wii. It just has to be formatted to FAT 32 instead of NTFS. And make sure you take any SD cards out.

But no, there is no homebrew on the Wii yet.

NO YOU CAN'T. If you did your research you'd know that this is a MYTH.

....you CAN use an external HD on the Wii. It just has to be formatted to FAT 32 instead of NTFS

Mine didn't work.. I went to all the trouble of formatting FAT32, and all.!

But, I had a thought.. did it not work because it being a 40Gb drive and not split into smaller chunks? I dunno, I gave up bothering after a while.

it'd be interesting just to see it working.

Back