Frustrating Drive Issue!!!

djfrein

WiiChat Member
Dec 28, 2010
iowa
Okay, so I very recently purchased the new Goldeneye and Super Mario Galaxy 2, and have run into a problem with my Wii hardware seemingly as a result of playing these games. Whenever I insert either of the discs, I get the following message:

"An error has occurred. Press the Eject Button and remove the disc, then turn the Wii console off and refer to the Wii Operations Manual for help troubleshooting."

I have searched online for tips on fixing this issue, and have tried cleaning the drive with a can of air, unplugging the system completely, etc. One thing I HAVE noticed is that some of my older games will still work on the system, which makes me think it could be a "multilayering" issue, as some sites have suggested is the case with similar problems.

Has anyone had the same, or a similar problem and come up with an easy fix besides sending it back to Nintendo? My Wii is a few years old, but has worked like a charm until recently. Thanks for any advice you might have!

GoldenEye 007 is not a Dual-Layer, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 is definitly not Dual-Layer.

The problem may be the discs.

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but both of those games HAVE played on my Wii until yesterday, and I have tried both of them on other Wiis as well and they have worked just fine. The problem didn't start until I was playing Goldeneye last night, and once the error message popped up during a game, it no longer worked. Only after THAT did MG2 quit working also. Would one faulty disc screw up the gameplay of another disc? Keep in mind that my older games still work, so I'm at a loss.

Well, each game has their own Emulator and GoldenEye did seem to push the limit with my system. However, I didn't get issues like yours.

Well, each game has their own Emulator and GoldenEye did seem to push the limit with my system. However, I didn't get issues like yours.

Neither of those games have anything to do with emulators. They are programmed from the ground up as Wii games.

Sometimes your Wii might have a fault then a game like Goldeneye really pushes it then it finally gives. I remember when I had a Gamecube I played phantasy star online so much my Gamecube broke. I got it replaced twice before I finally got one that wouldn't break from my marathons. It still works today.

Every Game has their own Emulator.

Virtual Console games run as emulated code. Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the new Goldeneye are not games from older consoles that need to be emulated to run on the Wii. They are native Wii games.

Every game has an Emulator to function with every different set of Programs from several different types of computer sources used to make a game. The Wii firsts read how it should scan a disc, then it reads the Game, which is emulated to function the way the computer has allowed for the designed Game. Like Graphics, Frame Rate, Colors, and Textures. Makers can add tools to make a certain game have unique Graphics that had to be programmed into the Disc because the Wii may not have been programmed to fuction that way, this forces the Wii to Emulate that code.

Every game has an Emulator to function with every different set of Programs from several different types of computer sources used to make a game. The Wii firsts read how it should scan a disc, then it reads the Game, which is emulated to function the way the computer has allowed for the designed Game. Like Graphics, Frame Rate, Colors, and Textures. Makers can add tools to make a certain game have unique Graphics that had to be programmed into the Disc because the Wii may not have been programmed to fuction that way, this forces the Wii to Emulate that code.

That's not really what an emulator is. An emulator is program that makes one set of hardware basically pretend to be a different set of hardware and can then run the exact code that was written for the other hardware. For example, for Virtual Console games, there is an emulator that runs that makes the original NES (or Genesis, etc.) game run on the Wii hardware, which is totally different hardware than the original NES.

What you're referring to is sort of a combination of just how programming works and game engines that interpret code. However those engines themselves are written to run a specific set of hardware. They then interpret the code written for that engine. But still, that's not the same thing as an emulator.

I have the same problem
"An error has occurred press the eject button and remove the disc then turn the wii console off and refer to the wii operations manual"

I was playing Monster Hunter 3 when mine went down. At first other games worked for a little. Now nothing works, I get the error with all games. Some times they will work for 10 - 15 minutes but then the error message comes up again. I tried everything I know unplugged, let it sit for a while, blew out Wii with air.

Only thing left is to tear it apart myself or send it to Nintendo.
Called Nintendo they said they will fix it for nothing since the warranty was up only a weeks or so.

I thought maybe there was a bad update Nintendo put out but that's just a guess.

Sorry I can't help you any but thought I would put my 2 cents in because there doesn't seem to be alot of info on this error out there on the web.

@Skippy,
Actually, I meant Everything within my post, but I meant Wii Discs may have Codes that came from a PC, Advance PC Engine, Physics Engine Or Game Engine that utilizes the same Hardware to fit Wii. However, I'm not an expert.

Okay, so I very recently purchased the new Goldeneye and Super Mario Galaxy 2, and have run into a problem with my Wii hardware seemingly as a result of playing these games. Whenever I insert either of the discs, I get the following message:

"An error has occurred. Press the Eject Button and remove the disc, then turn the Wii console off and refer to the Wii Operations Manual for help troubleshooting."

I have searched online for tips on fixing this issue, and have tried cleaning the drive with a can of air, unplugging the system completely, etc. One thing I HAVE noticed is that some of my older games will still work on the system, which makes me think it could be a "multilayering" issue, as some sites have suggested is the case with similar problems.

Has anyone had the same, or a similar problem and come up with an easy fix besides sending it back to Nintendo? My Wii is a few years old, but has worked like a charm until recently. Thanks for any advice you might have!

There is no easy fix. Black Ops did the same thing to my Wii and the only thing you can do is send it in. I called and my Wii is out of warranty and they said they will fix it for free. Seems they know that the new games are a problem for the Wii.

I agree Solo
I think Nintendo knows whats going on here. Mine was out of warranty and they did not hesitate to fix it for free. I'm not complaining I just think it's a little fishy that this is happening right after Christmas.

Back