GDC 09: Three Final Fantasy Titles Coming to Wii

Frog

WiiChat Member
Oct 21, 2007
Finally!!! Oldschool Final Fantasy games are coming to virtual console. And the FFIV sequel!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/966/966158p1.html

GDC 09: Three Final Fantasy Titles Coming to Wii
Iwata confirms that not one, not two, but three Final Fantasy games are on their way to Wii.
by Lucas M. Thomas

March 25, 2009 - Another rumored announcement has come to light during the course of Nintendo President Satoru Iwata's GDC keynote -- the nature of Square Enix's next Final Fantasy project for Wii. We expected to hear more about it soon. We didn't expect to hear about three games, instead of just one.

First up was the official announcement of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord. The game is a sequel to the WiiWare launch title My Life as a King, and promises to offer a similar concept of play as that fantasy simulation did when it launches later this year -- of course, by its title, we can expect that you'll be taking the role of a villainous dictator instead of a heroic monarch this time around.

First screenshot of My Life as a Darklord.

Second was confirmation that Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is indeed on its way to WiiWare, both in Japan and the United States.
This game is a WiiWare port of a title originally developed for cell phones in Japan, and serves as a storyline sequel to Final Fantasy IV from the SNES. Final Fantasy IV has also recently gained a new set of fans, thanks to the DS remake which re-introduced it to a new audience just last year. You can definitely get hyped for this one.

Finally, Virtual Console aficionados should be excited to learn that the original editions of the classic franchise will, at long last, be coming to the VC. First up there is the original Final Fantasy, the NES hit that helped revolutionize RPGs as a game genre. We'll be looking forward to that, especially since many people suspected Square Enix would never allow those 8-bit installments back out of the vault again.

Back