Getting Data from Wii HDD?

chris7626

WiiChat Member
Nov 21, 2010
Charlestown, IN
Hey all, I'm new to these forums and I have a question; is it possible to get data off of a bricked Wii's HDD? My Wii is dead beyond repair (unless I send it into Nintendo) and we're planning on buying a new, lower priced black Wii :wii-black:. The only problem with this is that we won't have any of our VC games or our saves. I'm going to be pretty mad if I have to restart my 100% complete Subspace Emissary or I'll have to collect all 120 stars in Super Mario Galaxy again. :frown5:

Anyways, my idea is to take the Wii apart, remove the HDD, plug it into a drive reader and remove the data. I would then proceed to put the data onto an SD card to transfer to the new Wii.

Problems? Concerns? Please let me know before I try this.

Yeah, your New Wii would ingore the HDD Partition of your SD Card. Reason being, its to protect every console from Piracy regardless if its your Data, nor is it Programmed to read HDD data outside of its own HDD. I would Recommend calling Nintendo to see if they could just transfer the Data from your old to your New Wii. Hell, you'll be lucky to get your VC games at all... as in transferred for free or you may have to Re-purchuse your collection for your new Wii. The ones Downloaded from your old Wii will not be read with your new one and not from the SD Card.

Last edited:
Just Swap Drives

Hey all, I'm new to these forums and I have a question; is it possible to get data off of a bricked Wii's HDD? My Wii is dead beyond repair (unless I send it into Nintendo) and we're planning on buying a new, lower priced black Wii :wii-black:. The only problem with this is that we won't have any of our VC games or our saves. I'm going to be pretty mad if I have to restart my 100% complete Subspace Emissary or I'll have to collect all 120 stars in Super Mario Galaxy again. :frown5:

Anyways, my idea is to take the Wii apart, remove the HDD, plug it into a drive reader and remove the data. I would then proceed to put the data onto an SD card to transfer to the new Wii.

Problems? Concerns? Please let me know before I try this.

Why don't you just swap the drives and try it. You can't do any damage it will either work or not as long as. That is all you do. Just put the old one in the new one turn it on if it does not work straight off don't go any further just the new wii back together. If it powers up fine then problem solved.

Back