Halo 3 Revelation

COLDshiver

Wii Owner
Sep 14, 2006
America
Wii Online Code
4532-8683-6668-7765
Ok, so me and my brother went and bought Halo 3 at midnight yesterday and we played for 7 hours straight -> classes -> more halo. Halo 3 is just so fun. All i've played was Live online with my brother and haven't even touched the singleplayer yet. While playing, I was just enchanted by all the cool stuff and new weapons but after a while, i realized: What makes Halo 3 any different than Halo 2? What is so revolutionary that no other game has done? This question just popped into my head and I thought about it. There's nothing "revolutionary" about Halo 3.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I got it at midnight, and am going to play it again right after finishing this post for at least 4 hours. But i came to the realization, what makes you want to buy the game? basically they upped the graphics, added new weapons and vehicles, new and redesigned maps, dev mode, etc.

But what is new that no other game has done? New maps, weapons, vehicles, are nothing too special. Could've been added as an addon package you buy off of Live like maps. Dev mode is nothing new, garry's mod anyone? Don't say it's different, i'm talking about the concept. Again don't get me wrong, I love this game I'm going to play it for years, I've jumped on the hype train ever since i finished the halo 2 single player and especially when they announced it. But after all that, i've come to a realization and when i compare this to other games, it's just a upped graphics and new stuff. I expected this game to be godly, and it is, but not to the point where it is the be all end all revolutionary game that i've hyped so long for. I guess it's because i've hyped for this game and waited for so long and expected a game to be godly but was let down with a game that was only outrageously awesome. I guess now, all i can hope for is Crysis (Hopefully Godly gameplay, but I know graphics will be definitely Godly) and Spore (anything Will Right touches is Godly and turns into money)

I agree, I didn't think this game would sell this well. Gamers are STARVED for fun games with high replay value. Just look at the current market. In certain genres it's very barren. I hope this is a lesson to all game companies. You don't need the super flashy, cutting edge, photoreal(which doesn't really exist yet), mind blowing graphics and broken programming, you need to make a game that's simply fun.

guys, played it at the shops its real fun. i understand where ur coming from but is any game 'revolutionary?'

Think about it : GOD OF WAR 2 - same as halo 3 (ur description new weaopens etc)
GTA- SERIES AGAIN SAME AS HALO 3

EVEN MARIO FALLS INTO THIS TRAP.

well replayability is a major plus because gamers (and probably parents) think for 60 bucks the game better be worth it, not beat it and then never touch it again and cant even sell it for the price you bought it at. halo 3 is one of those games that you can pick up and play over and over again, which is part of its huge success, i didnt see much change either, even the graphics were very similar, the aiming felt the same which is allways good, just not a major difference, could of just modded halo2 lol, only noticeable differences were the guns, maps and console for me

bigwilliiy said:
EVEN MARIO FALLS INTO THIS TRAP.

i think galaxy will change that(with the motion controls and all)

Last edited by a moderator:
yea but marios story.

Princess and him about to get 'IT' on

bowser takes her for the piece of the action

mario goes on a quest to get her back.

They get 'IT' on

I agree with you. The game is simply an improvement of halo 2. I think what really gets people, is the fact they get to finish the fight, and complete the story.

I agree with you all. Many games are all repeats with extras. I just hope game companies start trying new things and less of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" games. And also, now that i'm thinking more about it SSB:B could possibly also fall into this trap. Again, I'm still going to get it and it's going to be awesome. But then again, i haven't played it yet so I don't know. So far we know new items and characters. Oh yes, single player has been revamped and i hope it's much different from melee and the n64 version.

hhmmm mario games(main series) all are a little bit revolutionary in the concept that they are different........except mario bros 3, just improved graphics and costumes of mario bros 1..........

If you were to look at games such as Super Smash Bro's and the Mario Party Series you would notice a similarity that they too fall into this concept and or description you mentioned above.

The main differences with Halo 3 compared to that of Halo 2 is that Halo 3 offers new vehicles, weapons, the forge, a theater to watch previous games you've played (don't think any other game has done that yet), along with the fact that you can share your videos with friends. To be honest I think that Halo 3 was a major improvement from Halo 2.

good thread.

the problem is that no one is really experimenting with gameplay variation. yeah improved physics and shinier graphics are all well and good, but we're not really introspectively adding anything that wasn't here last gen.

the mario games have changed drastically in the gameplay department and this is a big part of the series success over so many system generations. you don't just come up with an idea and carry it on for 20+ years without making crucial gameplay adjustments in addition to the graphical/engine updates.

i'm not confident that microsoft could have accomplished what nintendo did long term with the halo franchise. i expect several halo spin-off franchises from microsoft, but i just cant see them grasping onto a long term (20+ year) concept at the rate the halo series has evolved thus far (and i know its the final installment of a trilogy, i'm just saying conceptually)

the point of halo 3 was to make a 6 hour game that ended the story and make a buh-million dollars.

and get everyone to play xbox live and fork over more money

that said, I'm sure the online is superb.

Indeed it is. The online play of Halo 3 has changed a lot. The new maps, weapons and game variants are quite fun.

bigwilliiy said:
guys, played it at the shops its real fun. i understand where ur coming from but is any game 'revolutionary?'

Yeah some games are. Sim City, Black and White, Pong.

All revelutionary.

And as he said up there, Spore could be, although it's gonna be disappointing if it doesn't buck up it's ideas.

dreville79 said:
bigwilliiy said:

Yeah some games are. Sim City, Black and White, Pong.

All revelutionary.

And as he said up there, Spore could be, although it's gonna be disappointing if it doesn't buck up it's ideas.

basically any game that shigeru miyamoto created for the NES

Back