Hd graphics: worth it or not?

struss789

WiiChat Member
May 24, 2006
U.S.
Wii Online Code
7795-4616-5509-6155
I for one will sacrifice graphics for gameplay any day, but what do you think. Are HD graphics worth the money?

I don't think they are worth $600 (Sony), I have an EDTV in my room which is compatible with the Nintendo Wii. So I'll be happy with those graphics but I will never pay $600 for HD Games.

Face it, it's a case of letting the HD TV take over from standard TV, which will take a few years, like when DVD overtook VHS. It will happen, and when it does all games will be crystal clear, and by then the prices will come down as the technology will not be as new as it is today.

In my opinion, it would depend on the game. Don't tell me you want some super-flashy effect while your playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It'd be ok, but every attack flashing? Although, in a FPS it'd be better. FPS's aren't as fast-pace as a fighting game.

It all depends on the person, if they like graphics then they're going to want HD. If you like gameplay, then you really shouldn't care.

Well, I don't think that it's necessarily a matter of choice between hd graphics and gameplay... you can have both, non?

What I think is the case is that it was wise of Ninty not to include HD support in the Wii basically because:

a) this lowered the cost of the console
b) most gamers do not have the $$ to have an HDTV and therefore not everyone could really utilise the potential of HDTV features

However, let's not kid ourselves... I think that everybody would like more features such as this...

Tru but don't you think that gamers who want HD are going to be turned off because they don't have hd? It's just a matter of opinion.

Well they won't... ur right. Yet what I said is that it would be great if the Wii had more flashy features like HDTV or Dolby Surround etc. etc. (if Im not mistaken in another topic a forum member said that the console might not have DS).

Mate, I'm all for gameplay and I am going to pick the Wii over other next gen consoles... yet I am aware that the lack of features in the Wii was a move Nintendo made because it could not afford to spend the insane amounts of money Sony and Microsoft spent on their systems. It was a choice Ninty made, the lack of certain features in the system; yet it was a choice forced by other factors as well...

I would probably reconsider the purchase if it DIDN'T have 16:9 EDTV but beyond that I'm not that upset that its not true HD. Xbox games look great in 480p EDTV.

I believe thats its just how the game feels. I mean a game can be great fun and have bad graphics. It's all on the consumer.

struss789 said:
I for one will sacrifice graphics for gameplay any day, but what do you think. Are HD graphics worth the money?
I would sacrifice it any day too. HD Graphics are too expensive, and that is the reaosn why the prices are higher for Xbox 360 and PS3.

I have a friend that nows wants to go out and buy a HD TV just so his 360 looks that tiny bit better. Seems a bit ridiculous if you ask me, he spent $700 on the console (he got some games with it) and now it will cost him another couple of thousand just so he can use the HD compatability that he paied so much money for.

Back