HDTV/Wii Component Cables

sarasota

Let the Wii pwnage begin.
Nov 13, 2007
Sarasota, Florida
Hey, question guys........I got my new Vizio 37" HDTV last night, and it's beautiful.....component cables make the Wii look really sharp and catchy....however, here's my issue.

Before I had composite cables going into my old TV, and the audio cables going into my surround system. How can I hook up my Wii to my TV and surround system using component cables? The Wii component cable I have is not splittable, so I can't put the components in the TV and the red/white audio cables into the surround receiver.

Does anyone else here have Wii hooked up through their surround system, using component cables?

EDIT: I see on another site someone has the same issue.......someone told them to send the audio and video to the surround reciever, then send the video to the TV. With what cables, if I have currently my Wii component cables going right into my HDTV? And will this degrade the video signal at all?

thanks in advance!!!

T

Last edited:
I,ve got my Wii connected to my tv via component cables, I connected my surround sound from the audio out on the back of my tv, works fine for me :D

Gotcha, so you're hooking up to the TV as usual with components, then just taking a pair of audio cables and running it from your TV inputs to the Surround reciever outputs?

Why didn't I think of that *L*

sshhh said:
I,ve got my Wii connected to my tv via component cables, I connected my surround sound from the audio out on the back of my tv, works fine for me :D

Yes components as usual, then from the TV audio out to the surround sound audio in with audio cables, so obviously anything you put on TV can go through the surround sound, but I only really use it for my Wii. :yesnod:

Ok I'm probably not doing this right.......but my thinking was taking audio cables and hooking up where the COMPONENT audio cables would go, just leaving the components out and replacing them with the standard audio cables, is that what you meant?

That didn't work, but I need to get another pair of cables to make sure it wasn't them, they were a bit old.....

Attached is a screenshot of the back of my HDTV.......I have one set of components already being used, so how would I do this exactly, or was I going in the right direction?

Thanks man!!!

sshhh said:
Yes components as usual, then from the TV audio out to the surround sound audio in with audio cables, so obviously anything you put on TV can go through the surround sound, but I only really use it for my Wii. :yesnod:

Attachments

• Screeny 2008.02.29.08.43.21.jpg
    Screeny 2008.02.29.08.43.21.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 3,368
I have Vizio VX32L which more or less a 32" copy of your TV. ALL 5 of my plugs from the Wii component cable go into slot 6. To the right of my NTSC/ATSC tuner (slot 9) I have two audio out plugs. I run those from my TV to my stereo system using regular RCA cables. I don't see them on your picture. Is your picture just cut off or do you not have them?

Ughhh, I don't think I have those.......dammit....so that's what I'd need huh? I guess the only other way would be to get different Wii component cables that weren't bundled at the TV end, so I could plug the two audio cables directly into my receiver?

hal2814 said:
I have Vizio VX32L which more or less a 32" copy of your TV. ALL 5 of my plugs from the Wii component cable go into slot 6. To the right of my NTSC/ATSC tuner (slot 9) I have two audio out plugs. I run those from my TV to my stereo system using regular RCA cables. I don't see them on your picture. Is your picture just cut off or do you not have them?

Or you could just go get a pair of RCA audio cables and a pair of female RCA butt connectors and lengthen just the Audio to reach the Surround sound pretty simple cheep fix.

Yeah that's what I was just thinking too, I just looked and Radio Shack has the male to female RCA extension cable for about 8 bucks, so I'll do that to make life easier on myself *LOL*

Thanks for the help man!!

By the way, how do you like your Vizio? I love our, awesome, awesome picture, even on the SDTV cable channels, I was surprised!

Maybe you know....one issue I'm having is that my SDTV channels are showing 4:3 instead of 16:9, I'd rather have the squashing than the sidebars......of course, HD channels automatically correct it to 16:9....but when I'm on a SDTV channel, in the menu, the "wide" setting shows enabled but it's greyed out, I can't change it at all............does this have anything to do with the cable source coming in via component instead of HDMI? How can I get my SDTV channels to stretch out to 16:9 format? The manual isn't very helpful *L*

wezeles said:
Or you could just go get a pair of RCA audio cables and a pair of female RCA butt connectors and lengthen just the Audio to reach the Surround sound pretty simple cheep fix.

I love my Vizio. I've had it a little over a year now. The only issue I've had with it is that my blue "on" light stopped working but I consider that a feature. It was pretty annoying. A lot of people have talked about the cheaper HDTVs having poor up-conversion but the Vizios seem to have a decent upscaler on them.

No the manual isn't very helpful. The only component input I'm using is for my Wii so I don't know about the widescreen stuff for regular TV. I do know that I have to explicitly set my 480p Wii image for wide via component. It will switch back and forth from 4:3 to 16:9. The VGA input stays at wide so on my computer I have the sidebars when I'm viewing 4:3 content. On my TV tuner (I use rabbit ears for most of my TV viewing), I can switch back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9 for SDTV channels.

ahhhh ok, yeah the Wii wasn't a problem, just set it to widescreen and EDTV, and it looks beautiful with the component inputs. Guess I'll do a little more digging, I saw somewhere that someone said their Vizio 37" would only show WIDE not PANORAMIC when they use HDMI, opposite of the problem I'm having, so not sure yet *L*

Thanks for the help!!

Back